Chapter 22

Ami smiled sheepishly at Ritsuka’s father. “Hey Mr. Dally…” she muttered through her smiling teeth.

He continued to shake his head at her. “What were you doing, Ami? Talking to the water?” he asked. It was such a ridiculous suggestion. Ami raised a brow at him.

“No. Water can’t talk, Mr. Dally…” Ami chuckled nervously.

“Then what were you doing?!” he challenged.

Ami flinched. “I was… I was talking to the sea…” she looked out past the horizon where the dark clouds meshed with the ocean. “They say that there is a sea goddess who is more kind and beautiful than any other god… And she is wise and tolerant as well… I just wanted to know if it was true.” Ami turned back to Dally.

He furrowed his brows in disgust. “Stay away from my son.” He warned before turning on his heels and stomping off into the thick forest…

Ami stared after him both relieved and confused…

“I told you to come home from school for emergences only!” Rebecca growled, little bits of red strands falling to her feet.

“This was an emergency…” Ami muttered as Rebecca cut away at her hair, giving it shape and style. “I don’t trust anyone at this island and you cut hair just as well as they do.”

“I DON’T KNOW WHY YOU CHOPPED IT OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE!” Rebecca hollered at the girl. “Six years of hard work all going to waste!! I can’t believe you…” she snorted in appall.

“I just had to… Bullies, you know?” Ami shrugged.

Rebecca rolled her eyes, but didn’t say anymore about it. “Hey, I’ve got news for you.”

“What up? Hit me.”

“Your adoptive parents are coming over to pick you up tomorrow.”

Ami froze. That wasn’t news she wanted to hear… She hasn’t even told anyone about that yet... Now it seems that she’s on a time limit… There was Mitsukuni and Ritsuka to tell. And…well that’s it. Not that it still wasn’t a heart pounding job.

“I think you should start packing up today. I’ve already started with some of your clothes. Be ready by tonight so that there isn’t much trouble tomorrow morning, k?” Rebecca continued.

Ami still didn’t answer. She slumped in her chair, sighing heavily. “If that’s what you want, Rebecca...”

“This isn’t what I want!” the foster mother choked out, her throat tight. Ami didn’t know that it was hard for her to say goodbye. Ami didn’t know that if Rebecca could help it they would stay together forever… Rebecca sighed, calming her nerves as she continued cutting the girl’s hair. “This is what you need, Ami… It has nothing to do with that I want…”

Ami couldn’t help but hear the shaky unsteadiness in her foster mother’s tone. She turned around just in time to catch Rebecca frantically wipe the tears away. Ami pulled her into a hug, stopping her from wiping away the tears. Instead, she let Rebecca sob into her shoulder…