Chapter 16

Ami jumped back in surprise by the rude comment. She didn’t know what to say to the sneering girl in front of her. Why was she being so rude to someone she had just met?

Ritsuka made a noise from behind Ami, sounding as if he was about to say something, but Chanay cut him off by walking closer to Ami and circling around her like a vulture. Ami put her arm down, knowing she wasn’t going to get a hand shake, as she watched Chanay circle around her.

“Disgusting, I mean look at it!” she sneered, picking up a red curl from Ami’s long hair before freaking out and dropping it. “Ew! It’s all wet!” she screeched.

“Well, duh! I was just in the water.” Ami informed haughtily.

“With your clothes on? What are you, a middle schooler?” Chanay quickly shot back with a smirk.

Ami gulped, silenced by her foulness.

“Chanay!” Ritsuka grabbed hold of her arm and turned her around so he could scold her face-to-face. “What the hell are you-” suddenly his cell phone rang, cutting him off short. Chanay smirked wider at him as he dug into his pocket, glaring at her all the while. “Hello?” he answered the call, his father’s voice angrily spilling through. “Look, I was just- So what?...No I- … …Fine, whatever.” He sighed before hanging up the phone.

“Was that your father, Rits-baby? He doesn’t like her much, does he?” Chanay asked, giving Ami a sideways glance, showing off her smug smile.   

“You. Don’t call me that.” He stated harshly as he walked towards Ami. “Now come on Ami, I’m walking you home.”                     

“Oh no you aren’t!!” Chanay denied, pushing her way in between the two. “If you go out with her you can bet I will be speaking to your father, Rits!” she threatened, strapping herself to his chest. Ami gasped at how clingy she was to him, her face reddening with anger.

“I’m not afraid of him, Chanay, I never was. Threats like that won’t work on me!” he tried to pry her off.

“But your father said he was going to kick you out of you hang out with this ugly excuse for a human being! She repels people, Rits-baby; and if you hang out with her people will avoid you, too!” Chanay pled loudly. “If she had any heart at all she would stay as far away from you as she could!”

The words shot an arrow through Ami’s insides. It was what she was always afraid of; Ritsuka being shunned for life just because of her. If this ‘Chanay’ could figure that out as quickly as she did, then that means its true… Everyone will shun Ritsuka…

“Chanay, you don’t say such rude things! I love Ami and nothing will-”

“No.”

Chanay and Ritsuka gasped at Ami as she cut him off from finishing his sentence.

“W-w-w-what?” Ritsuka stuttered at her, Chanay’s slimy hands finally slipping off of him. 

Ami shook her head at him, taking a step back. “She’s right… They’re all right…” she whispered dejectedly. “I knew it was true, Ritsuka! They’ll all hate you because of me!” she cried out, not letting him talk her out of it before running back into the winding forest.       

“Ami! Shit!” he cursed, starting to chase after her. But Chanay held him back and forced him to watch Ami disappear into the woods.