Chapter 3

"Wow..." Ritsuka gazed at the beautiful marble mansion in awe. He's always seen it shining from afar since it was on top of the highest hill on the island, but he's never thought it'd be this...grand. He felt too inferior to even ogle at its perfections.

"Hey, Tiger!" a feminine voice broke his trance and he turned around to face a short, Mexican woman with a long braid running down her back.

"Rebecca~" Ami sang as she skipped happily to her guardian's side. "This is Ritsuka!"

Rebecca's eyes lit up at his name. She looked absolutely eager to meet him. "You're the little boy in the picture she always talks about!"

"You... You talk about me?" Ritsuka asked Ami, shyly. Ami looked completely embarrassed and confused, her mouth opened to a small 'o.'

"Yes! Practically every night!" Rebecca answered enthusiastically before she leaned in and whispered, "She sleep talks..." with a sly smile.

"Rebecca!" Ami nudged her guardian with a highly embarrassed and angry face.

"What? You do!" Rebecca put her hands up to protect herself while she laughed. "And I'm glad you do! That way I know what you're dreaming about."

"They are my dreams, aren't they?" Ami couldn't help but smile back. "They're supposed to be private!"

Ritsuka smiled as they fought. He was happy that Ami had Rebecca to look after her for a while. She seemed like a great person to have as a foster mother.

But sadness crept into his heart once again. Even though Rebecca was a great person, Ami shouldn't know her. She should have her own, real mother... But, he guessed, a foster mother is better than none...

"Hey, Ritsuka?" Ami pulled him out of his daydream.

"Hnn?" He snapped back to life, a light blush creeping on his cheeks.

Ami giggled at the sudden color on his face. "Rebecca has to buy food for dinner, so-"

"So you two can hang out and reminisce!" Rebecca interrupted before she winked at Ritsuka and strolled to town.

Ritsuka flashed an even deeper red at her action. Ami, noticing the color change in his face, turned to Rebecca and yelled, "What did you do to him, Rebecca?!"

She suddenly froze half way down the hill as if she had forgotten something, turned back to the teens, and called out, "Have her back by sun down, okay? It's only her first day back."

Ritsuka's face burst crimson as he gasped in total embarrassment. Ami's cheeks grew hot as she stuttered for words. Rebecca just laughed at the kids and left the two tomato faced teens on the hill. They both stayed silent as Rebecca disappeared from view, lost for words.

"So..." Ritsuka started as he cleared his throat.

"Leave your stuff here, Ritsuka. It'll be fine." Ami smiled as she set her school bag on the front step. He simply nodded and proceeded with her command, little hints of blush still clinging on to his cheeks.

"Common, let's go to the beach just like we used to do. For old time's sake." Ami suggested as she held out her hand. Ritsuka gulped down his emotions and took it willingly. She grasped his hand firmly in hers and smiled at him, and for that moment-for a slight second-she looked like a five year old again. He sheepishly smiled back at her, his emotions somewhat calmed by her touch. He held her hand, not as confidently as she did, though, and led her to the beach...________________________________________________________________

"It's still just as beautiful as ten years ago..." Ami sighed, her golden eyes lost in the crashing waves as the sun made its way closer to the never ending blueness.