Chapter 7

The phone rang one, two, three times, he picked it up eventually.

"Hello?"

"Deku..."

"Kacchan??"

"Why haven't you picked up your phone?"

"Uh, it got crushed beyond repair while fighting a villain. I got a new one just today. Is something wrong? You usually don't call me out of the blue-"

"She's dying Deku..."

"Dying?? Who are you talking about?!", Midoriya panicked in worry.

"Keiko, she's got a disease called hanahaki."

"..."

"Why aren't you saying anything?"

"Kacchan, I have it too... It's kind of normal for me to normal for me to cough up blood with all the training I do and the fighting villains and all. But it was too painful so All Might told me to get it checked. I've been really sick for the past two days or so..."

Bakugou trembled as his mind raced.

"Come back to Japan, now.", he almost whispered.

"Ka-"

"YOU BETTER BE HERE IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS! THE FARTHER YOU ARE FROM HER, THE FASTER HER DISEASE SPREADS! Call the government, bribe someone, anything! Anything, please...", he broke down crying in the middle of yelling at his childhood friend and rival.

"Okay... Can I stay at your place? Or wherever Tatsugami-san is.", he spoke slowly. He had to be cautious as to not say anything wrong in that situation.

"Yeah. J-just come here quick."

Bakugou cut the call and silently sobbed into his hands. The doctors were doing some tests on her, with both equipments and quirks. He was told to wait outside in the hallways while the tests were done. Kaminari had gone to pick up Ashido when Bakugou told him to go right after they reached the hospital. He took the hint that he wanted to be alone. Bakugou had texted the rest of them who were on their way. He wanted to contact Uraraka, Iida, and Todoroki too but he decided to let them know after the doctors had said something. His stomach growled as he had not had breakfast or lunch. He didn't feel like eating, but he had to take care of himself for her. He couldn't take care of Keiko without being okay himself. He walked to the cafeteria while thinking about a lot of things.

'Could Deku be Keiko's soulmate? I mean, it's not impossible. Why the fuck is it Deku?! Why is it anybody other than me?!! Does that mean, I'm not good enough for her? Will she leave me for Deku.. No! I can't think like that. We promised. She said she loves me. I should trust her. But, ugh! God I hope she's okay...'

He had still not stopped sniffling yet. He picked up a cup of coffee and headed back to the hallway he was told to wait in. He was all bundled up in his coat and scarf because of the cold hospital temperature. He kept checking his watch nervously. All his pride, ego, embarrassment, aggression, were nowhere to be seen. Bakugou had never been more human than this before. In that moment, he was a worried lover who prayed for their partner to be safe.

With his angry self at bay, he started falling asleep because of his quirk. He didn't become ill-tempered out of choice or bad parenting, it was because of his body's need to survive along with his own driven and motivated mindset. Nitroglycerin present in Bakugou's single arm was enough cause health problems to multiple regular citizens with no-so-powerful quirks. With the chemical coursing through his body, he would have been dead if he had not kept himself agitated ever since his quirk manifested. He learnt it the hard way when he collapsed a couple of days after showing first signs of his quirk. It was the first and last time Bakugou was 'unwell' in his childhood and teen age. Nobody knew why Mitsuki had suddenly become so violent with her son. Except Midoriya Inko, who figured it out pretty quickly after some research of her own and a long talk with her. Both of the mother's had a big but hidden part in why their sons were close despite everything that happened to them. Both of the Midoriyas understood both of the Bakugous.

"Hey, Bakugou.", Ashido tapped Bakugou on his shoulder.

"Oh, Mina. You're here. Did I fall asleep?"

"I think you just dozed off. You okay?"

"...no."

Mina was shocked and extremely sad to see her friend crumble down like this.

"I'm here okay? We all are. Sero and Eiji are stuck at a traffic light but they'll be here soon."

"I can't fucking keep my eyes open. I am trying to stay awake but nothing is helping. I feel fucking numb to everything. I can't think straight and I'm scared. I can't help Keiko when she's suffering so much, pathetic..."

"Bakugou, there is nothing more you could have done. Please, hold on a little. Don't give up so quick! You're Japan's No. 1 Pro Hero!"

"Hah.. And I still lost to that shitty fucking nerd..."

"Are you talking about Midoriya-kun? What about him?"

"He's probably Keiko's soulmate. He started showing symptoms at the same time as Keiko. I will never surpass Deku, I knew that from the moment I knew about his quirk's power. I came to terms with that after years when I met Keiko. And now, he stole her away too! Everything that I ever truly wanted! Why?! WHY??!!!", he screamed in agony. The nurses shushed in their direction and Mina quickly apologized to her. She patted and rubbed his back as they waited for the rest of them to turn up. Bakugou dozed off with his quirk overtaking him by the second. He knew it was getting dangerous.

"Mina... Adrenaline, in-jection... Doctor, can't keep, eyes ope..."

"Oh god, fuck! I-I-I'll go get someone! Shit!"