Chapter 4

"I hope it's nothing serious... Katsuki, I'm scared...", Keiko said as she squeezed Bakugou's hand tightly.

They decided to leave the party early and go to the hospital for a check-up. Fortunately, the doctor they both went to regularly as heroes was available and took them in as priority patients. He did a few tests and asked her a couple of questions before that. They were told that there wasn't anything too out of the blue for a hero. The results would take some time because of the rush so they were told to come the next morning. They went home, still worried the same. Changing into their home yukata-like matching robes, they munched on some food they had left from the afternoon. It was too quiet for their home.

"Katsuki, it won't be anything too bad right?"

"No baby, it's probably, uh, overworking yourself or something. Maybe you should ask our agency to extend your break. It ends tomorrow right?"

"Yeah, but I feel fine right now. I don't want to use up my holidays for things like this."

"Things like this is your health Keiko. You remember when you were unconscious for a week because you used your quirk without resting it properly?"

"Yeah, but I feel really guilty taking break from hero work. Especially after being given the chance to-"

"I told you we don't have to talk about it. It's the past and we can do nothing to change it. Focus on me for tonight okay?"

He held her hand and kissed her forehead. She leaned into him and put her head on his shoulder. They finished their food and went to bed immediately. They cuddled each other for warmth, comfort, and as a mental sense of security. Keiko fidgeted with the robe Bakugou was wearing. Her thoughts raced with self-doubt and worry.

"Didn't tell you to focus on me?", Bakugou whispered when he figured out she was still nervous. He kissed her passionately with his hands gripping her waist.

"What if I lose control again? It was so painful. I don't want to hurt anyone either. I don't want that. So weak, pathetic,-" 

"Keiko, stop. Put your hand on my chest, feel my heartbeat. Smell in my scent that you like so much. Touch me, feel me. I'm here. And I've pinky promised you that I'm not going anywhere. So, calm down Princess."

"I'm a good person right? An-and you love me right? You love me..."

"I love you more than anything. I love you all the time. I love you everywhere. Nothing's gonna change my love for you."

He kept whispering to her till she finally fell asleep.

The morning was a little more cheerful than the night before. Keiko helped Bakugou make breakfast before they went to the hospital. Keiko offered to drive but Bakugou being the overprotective person he was for her, refused and drove them to the hospital after much arguing. The doctor welcomed them and said that he hadn't looked at the reports yet and that a nurse had put them in his cabin long after he had left.

"Let's take a look at them together shall we?"

The couple nodded. The doctor toom out the results with a smile but soon but on a blank face, then a serious look. Keiko gulped and squeezed Bakugou's hand. He squeezed it back and gave her a reassuring look. In time, the doctor spoke.

"I'm sorry, I should have checked the reports sooner. We might need to call Recovery Girl... I'm so sorry."

"What the fuck are you going on about?!"

"Katsuki. What is it doctor?"

"It's,", he showed the a scan of her lungs and pointed at some black spots in them, "you see this? It's a very rare disease called Hanahaki. It's a mostly unresearched disease because of how rare the cases are."

He explained to them about the disease and what it meant for Keiko.

"Good news is that you've met your soulmate. Bad news is that you need to find them soon. If they are too far away from you, both you and your soulmate's disease will quicken up. We don't know how it gets cured because every single surgery has resulted in death. So, we can't do much except keep you comfortable till you find them. Since it happened yesterday night, you must have met them yesterday."

Bakugou was quiet. Keiko decided to ask some questions.

"We were at a class reunion party for Bakugou and his friends so there are many people I've met there."

"Anyone you met for the first time."

"Many, yes."

"Then please contact all of them without any exceptions. If they are showing the same symptoms, please ask them to have a scan of their chest done and sent to me. Come to the hospital immediately if your condition worsens or you get an attack again. I believe you both have your numbers."

"Thank you doctor. We'll leave now."

They got up and left the cabin. Keiko spoke up once they were out of the hospital.

"Ka-"

"This is punishment for my past isn't it? I can never have what I want, who I want. I can never be happy. Keiko, I want to live with you forever and I'm not even your soulmate. We're not meant to be."

She slapped him hard across his face. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"Don't fucking say something like that so easily! I don't care! I don't care what the doctor says or the world says, hell what fates and gods say! You're the one I love and I'm not leaving you! We pinky promised! So, don't say, something like that, so easily!", she ended with small sobs. Bakugou snapped out of it and pulled her into a hug.

"I-I'm sorry. I made it about myself when you're the one hurting. I'm sorry, please don't cry..."

She sobbed harder after hearing that. She hugged him hard, as if either of them would disappear if they pulled away. They felt something on the top of their heads.

"Snow..."

"They say that if you watch the first snow with your lover, you'll be together forever."

"This is a sign. We're meant to be together, soulmates or not. You will still be the only one for me no matter what."

"I love you Keiko. So much. Please don't leave me..."

"I love you Katsuki. I will always love you. Let's go home."