I mean, she seemed pretty interesting. She had short hair, about as short as her brother’s hair, and these dark blue eyes that seemed so out of place and looked quite beautiful against her pale skin and dark hair. Nothing could happen between us though. She was a Selven, and I was a Jaysune. Plus, I had my secrets. Secrets I didn’t want her to find out.

            I took one of the books off the shelf and curled up into a comfortable ball on the bed to read.

            I had fallen asleep, the book had long since fallen to the ground and I was still curled up in my ball when I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I frowned and shifted slightly, hoping that the more comfortable I was, the less likely my mother would wake me up. Either I was still too uncomfortable, or it didn’t work at all.

            “Kiara, time for dinner. Your father already left for the night.” She said from the doorway.

            I groaned and sat up. I stretched my arms up over my head and stretched before walking out of my room for dinner. I couldn’t tell if I wasn’t excited to eat or disappointed. Mother said this feeling about who I was, or rather what I was, would pass. That I would accept myself. That I would learn that I am something more than everyone else. And one day I would find someone I could tell everything to, and they would accept me as well. I wondered how I was supposed to find that person when it was just as likely that I’d find someone who’d freak out and tell everyone in Corter.

            I came downstairs and found my brothers in a conversation, and the second I was at the bottom stair they turned and looked over at me with wide excited brown eyes. They were twins. It was an extremely rare occurrence, but that’s what they were. They were 17 and looked exactly alike. Twins appeared at the same time in the same temple, but it almost never happened. I guess my family was just lucky.

            Joden and Nev had these wolfish grins on their faces, and Joden said, “So I hear you met the Selven girl.”

            “Yeah, what of it?” I asked as I sat down and took some of the beef from the pile in the middle.

            “Well, what’s she like?” Nev asked.

            I shrugged. “I don’t know. We didn’t say much.”

            “Really? I heard that you had a nice little conversation with her. What about?” Joden’s grin widened as he said that.

            “I didn’t know who she was, so I asked what family she was from. She said Selven, I told her to ask Igniera about us.” I took a bite of one of the potatoes, trying to forget the smell of the beef on the table.

            “Really?” Nev still had a mischievous grin on his face.

            “What does she look like? She could be the one that accepts me for who I am.” Joden laughed.