Preface

PREFACE

I held up my flashlight and kept progressing down the path, warily following her every move. I was in for it again but somehow managed to pull myself together. There was no backing out this time. My mind was sure of it. However, my feet disagreed. They glued themselves to the fine dirt as I watched my "mother" fade into the darkness of the night, the sound of her feet crunching against the trail gradually vanishing away.

"Move! Move!" I softly screamed to myself. She was getting away. I plucked them off and sprinted forward.

If it weren't for the candle in her hand, I would have never found her. Thank god for candles and their impervious light. As I made my way down further, things began to change. The moon's gracious glow had died, and the only light sources in sight were my mom's candle and my trusty flashlight. The crickets had shushed, and so the wind. Utter silence took over the woods. I had to keep up with her. I couldn't lose that orange glow of that miniature flame. My feet were more thunderous than an elephant's shriek. I silently prayed that she wouldn't turn around.

Another orange glow I could see in the near distance. My mother stopped, and in front of her, a cluster of five figures in white robes approached from the blackness in the forest. They were each carrying a torch. She sauntered toward them slowly, stopped a few feet away from them and bowed.

"Have you summoned him?" one man asked, his voice a low grumble.

"I need more time. They're not ready yet," she replied.

"The time is coming, and he is growing impatient!"

"I determine when it's time. Forty-eight hours. I'll have it then. Gather the others. I'll be ready then. I promise! In the meantime, don't fail me."

"Be quiet!"

"I don't unders-"

"SHHHH!" The man stood still; his face was concealed in darkness.

"What is it?"

"You are being followed..." His dark eyes were obviously focused on me.

My teeth began chattering as I felt a hand grab onto my shoulder from behind...

Comment below and tell me what you guys think. Thank you guys, I'll try to keep you updated every week, and if you liked what you read, please vote and comment! Those of you who are wondering, I already wrote this story a while back, but it got deleted, along with all of my other stories.

Thanks for reading!