Chapter 6 ❁ An Unknown Vendetta

Start from the beginning

She sent me a goofy smile from her place on the staircase and I'll admit my heart just about pounded it's way out of my chest. 

Don't smile back.

Don't do it Malfoy.

Don't lead her on.

I mean it.

I smiled back.

~Evangeline's POV~

I turned away from the crowd and skipped back up into my dormitory where Pansy had stayed lounging on her bed, newspaper in hand and a sly smirk on her face.

"So what did the rest of them think?" Pansy asked as if she thought we were going to tell her they hated the idea.

"Couldn't you hear the yells of excitement? But it's alright Pansy I know you think it's below you to come so you just won't be invited!" Millicent said in an artificially sweet voice.

Pansy scowled. "Fine then. It's not as if I wanted to come at all," she replied. Then she got up and walked out leaving us in silent fits of laughter.

"That girl- has a real stick in her arse," Daphne giggled.

That night I walked to the great hall taking the long way to avoid the throngs of people. It was dimly lit here and even with my wand tip giving light to the space around me I could barely see.

I heard footsteps behind me and hurried up hoping whoever it was wouldn't want to walk with me. I needed a bit of peace and quiet.

The footsteps faded away which was almost more terrifying than hearing them follow me. I paused and looked around hoping to find the person. My wands light was suddenly extinguished.

"Lumos," I whispered. Nothing happened. "Come on! Lumos!" Again nothing.

Then, in the dark, someone's hand was over my mouth. An arm was around my waist holding me in place and the screams that I tried to yell were muffled by skin and a.. shirt sleeve? I struggled against the grasp but things were becoming less clear to me. There were back dots spotted against my vision and I found that no matter how hard I tried, I could not breath.

"Get away from her!" someone yells.

A flash of light who's color I could not see flashed before my eyes and I was released. I took a few short, wavering breaths and tried to stand up.

"Stay there Angel," Draco's voice said softly. His hands were on my arms and face trying to asses how I was damaged.

"Draco?" I asked softly. I found that my throat was unusually dry and sore.

Suddenly I felt strong arms around me, cradling me like a baby. The air moved around me as he lifted me into the air.

"Where do you want me to take you Angel?" he asked soothingly.

"Dumbledore's office," I croaked. Despite the aches everywhere in my body the only thing I could think of was the way his body felt. I fit perfectly in his arms. My head rested on his shoulder and I realized that the bones in his shoulder cupped my cheek comfortably. 

He began to walk towards Dumbledore's office but the jostling steps were making me sick.

"Stop," I pleaded. He immediately paused and re-adjusted me.

"You alright?" he asked nervously.

"The bounces are making me feel sick," I told him. He nodded and walked a little slower. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on the constant feeling of his warm body.

When I opened my eyes again we were in the Slytherin common room.

"Why are we in here?" I asked tiredly.

"Dumbledore's office was too far away. I needed to get you somewhere you could rest before you died in my arms," he joked with a straight face.

I nodded, though it hurt.

"I'm not allowed to go up into the girls dormitories without a girl leading me," Draco said worriedly.

"I-." I tried to tell him I couldn't walk but he cut me off.

"I know. You can't walk. I'll take you to mine okay?" he seemed jumpy. I just nodded and closed my eyes again as he carried me up into his room.

He laid me down as gently as possible on the bed and shut the drapes. His movements were slow and smooth. I watched him take my shoes and robe off for me so that I was wearing only a skirt, Slytherin sweater and tights.

"Would you like to borrow a shirt of mine? You'd be more comfortable," he suggested. A blush arose in his cheeks but I only smiled at him.

"Thank you Draco," I said softly. He handed me a white, silk nightshirt and left me to change. I was under the covers of his bed when he returned.

"You should probably take me into the common room so that Daphne can bring me up to my own dorm when she gets back from dinner," I suggested.

"I think I'll just keep you here. My bed is more comfortable anyway," he smiled slyly. I couldn't help but blush. He sat down at the end of the bed and I moved over to the edge to give him room to lie down.

"What? You want me to sleep in here with you?" he asked.

"Well I think it's a little suspicious for you to be sleeping somewhere else. Don't you think your cronies will think something of it?" 

He smiled and nodded before laying down. Our arms brushed against each other and although I couldn't feel his skin through the silk suit he was wearing I could feel his warmth.

He didn't turn to look at me. He didn't talk. He only stared up at the cloth that hung over the bed.

"Why'd you help me?" I asked curiously after a half hour of this.

"Because, Angel. You aren't so terrible and I think there would be people who would miss you if I had just let you die."

"You big softie," I giggled.

"Yeah yeah. Don't let it go to your head."

We kept our distance all night but somehow woke up in each others arms. I realized he was holding me when I first opened my eyes. I squirmed around to face him and realized that he was still fast asleep.

Not wanting to move and wake him I did the only thing I could think of, closed my eyes and fell back asleep.

When I woke up again he was gone, so were all the other boys who slept in the dormitory with him.

I sat up and pushed the hair out of my face which hurt more than most of the pain I've ever been through in my whole life. My neck was swollen and sore and my legs felt like lead. 

I heard the door open and Draco pushed back the drapes on his bed. The light blinded me momentarily but he walked around and stood in the way of the sunbeam so I had some shadows on my face.

"I brought you breakfast," he told me. He set down a piece of toast and some fruit.

"Thank you," I smiled. My voice was raspy and it was extremely painful to speak.

In a sudden, terrifying moment he reached out to me and gently ran his fingers over my neck. It felt bruised.

I suppose I looked like a mess because when my eyes went wide at his movement he looked startled.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he said with a coy smile. "You have bruises on your neck."

I nodded and tried to eat some of the grapes he'd brought. I couldn't force any down my throat so I just lay back in exasperation and let Draco look at me all over trying to figure out whether or not I needed to see Madam Pomfrey.

"Would you like to see Madam Pomfrey?" Draco asked me a few moments later.

I shook my head.

"Are you sure? She could fix you in an instant."

I nodded, I was sure. Sure I didn't need the public drama of the hospital wing, sure I'd be happier here, sleeping in Draco's arms each night.