Chapter 22: Alone

The truck's engine hummed down the highway. Owen sat next to me in silence, focusing his eyes on the road. I sipped the bottle of water he bought me at our last stop after he picked me up from the doctor's.

"Thanks for picking me up." I whispered. He raised my hand, that he was holding, and kissed it soundly. "You can just take me home."

"No. You are coming with me and we are going to talk about this. You didn't call your fiancé, you called me. That's not normal baby."

"He's going to be crushed, Owen! I lost his kid!" I cried. He pulled into the area where Derek's trailer was parked. I got out and walked to the bed of his truck and sat down.

"He will understand. There was nothing you could've done. Mismatched chromosomes is common. I promise you he won't be angry. He'll be sad like you are but not angry." He explained. I looked up at him and bit my lip back.

"I couldn't be happy with him. It had to be you for me and it wasn't. I couldn't be happy with his daughter... it had to be yours so I got punished!" I growled. Owen looked at me with joy but also with hurt. He began to speak but instead kissed me softly. I pulled a fist full of his hair into my hand and forgot that he wasn't Alex. He was Owen. Sweet Owen who loved me even when I didn't love myself.

"You never have to be alone again..." he promised. I was beginning to respond when my phone buzzed and Alex's face popped up. We talked for a few moments before I hung up and looked at Owen.

"Don't let me be alone."