Chapter 12: How We Began

1 year earlier:

His lips were mashed together forming a straight line. Tubes coming from everywhere, cuts on his face, and the feeling that he was almost gone.

I sat next to him in the small chair next to his bed. "Hey dad." I croaked out. His hair was greying and skin was becoming pale. My phone buzzed repeatedly. My family disapproving once again of my choice. "I graduated Med School today and got on a plane right after it. Explains the dress huh." I rambled on. Something he had loved when I was younger.

Someone walked in and began to check his vitals. I looked up at him and noticed. He wasn't a nurse. He wasn't a resident either.

"Hey sorry but why is an attending checking his vitals?" I questioned.

"He's a good friend. May I ask your name?"

"I'm Carter. You?"

"Owen Hunt and I'm running late. You look lovely by the way!" He rushed of. I watched as he slid on a grey and blue pinstriped jacket and ran his fingers through his hair. Owen looked back at me and thought for a moment. "You wouldn't wanna attend a gala with me would you?" He asked. I stood up and pecked my dads forehead before walking over to Owen and smiling.

"As long as no one from the hospital is here. I know some people here"

He laughed at my response then leaded me out to the parking lot. We got into his truck and from there the night was perfect.

After the gala we rode for hours. He held my hand in his as we rode out to the woods. His smile was wide as I sung along to the radio. We pulled up to a trailer, Derek's trailer but that wasn't where we we're going. We walked to the bed of his truck and laid down in the back to look at the stars. Owen kept his eyes on me whether I was looking up in his arms or dancing in the grass next to us.

"You know, Doctor Hunt, now that you've got me. You have to keep me!" I explained. He laughed and jumped down from his tailgate. We walked to each other until he could place his hands on my waist and pull me in.

"You know, Carter, I'm just fine with that."