Chapter 1: Welcome to SGMWH

Today is the day I become a surgeon. I looked into the mirror staring at the reflection of a surgeon. A resident. My dad walked behind me and rested his head on my right shoulder.

"You're a Sloan. You are a surgeon, it is in your blood. You will be the best neurosurgeon" he assured me. I smiled and slammed the door to my locker before turning around and hugging him.

"I love you, Dad, I'm a surgeon because of you." I smiled a crooked smile and picked up the lab coat lying on the bench and he helped me put it on.

"You are on Hunt's service today. He's trauma. If any crash victims come in do not try and help. We don't need you being triggered in the ER. I already informed him and don't worry he doesn't know why. I love you too. Now go save lives!" He exclaimed before walking from the intern locker room. I looked around then headed for the pit.

It was awfully quiet. A tall guy with red hair leaned against a table looking down at a chart. I walked to him and smiled. "I'm Kimbrey Sloan. You can call me K.C. or Sloan"

He looked down at me with an unamused face but it changed when he noticed me smiling. He was now rather amused. "K.C.? What does the c stand for?" He asked.

"Carter" I answered. He nodded and set the chart down next to him.

"Well Carter, let's get started" he suggested. I nodded and followed him to trauma one. We did a simple work up before heading off to other cases with multiple cases and symptoms. Lunch came around and I followed him to the cafeteria. We found ourselves at a table nestled in the corner of the large and busy room. I was finally able to take in the looks of Doctor Hunt.

The hypnotic cerulean eyes looking straight through me, a smile that could bring any one person to their knees due to the warmth it presented. I began to open my mouth to speak when rather strong arms wrapped around me.

"I got news today my goddaughter was here and I just had to ask why I wasn't informed that the next greatest neurosurgeon was coming to assist me" Derek's voice boomed through the room. I hugged him back before jumping up and smiling.

"Get me on your service tomorrow?" I asked with a hopeful tone. "Please Uncle Derek I need grey matter and spinal fluid" I explained.

"I'll see what I can do. Dinner with Meredith and I tonight. I need to go. I love you. Good to have you here" he hugged me and departed after a goodbye Owen.

Owen smiled and took a bite of his salad. "Uncle Derek?"

"I'm marks kid. It's how it happens. Derek is my uncle and my godfather."

"I'm just ruling out competition"

"For what?" I questioned.

"Not important. Let's go. We have an ambulance ten minutes out"