Zero

Disclaimer:
I do not own any of the characters in The Queens Gambit, but if I did I would have added a kiss scene between Beth and Benny. Like what the HECK why did they do that to us.

I also stole that disclaimer idea from Stilestastic, an amazing writer by the way.

Enough of my silliness! Notice this chapter will be short because it is the prologue.

𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗨𝗘

•She never limited herself to just one adventure

She never limited herself to just one adventure.

Any man, or person for that matter- she could manipulate.

Dominate.

She could use them, and then proceed to move onto her next victim of lust.

Never once did she find herself falling for the people who so effortlessly became devoted to her, and she knew her spell worked like a charm.

Why would someone of such beauty, deep inside the depths of her so hollow heart, choose to hurt the soul of another? And in the worst way possible, she stabbed them in the place that they carried their hearts, in the same place she had been stabbed so many years prior.

For she had no love left in her heart, the compassion that she once breathed and exhaled towards others was nothing but a dream, a memory taken by no one but the prison that was her brain.

She would never be hurt again.

Thea was, to be blunt, ruthless. How could a child, being just born, come out destined to live a life of suffering? Her legacy to lead a life of hurting others and herself was impossible not to foresee. And when the baby was born, golden browned skin was the only thing left that so embarrassingly printed her to be the daughter of a woman who had no care if she was breathing, or running out of air.

If she had a full stomach, or if she starved, roaming, then dead on the streets.

The woman Thea so desperately valued approval of.

At the age of 19, her mother was knocked up and forced to bear a child she'd rather not have the burden of laying eyes upon. Teardrops rarely fell from the angel's face that her mother despised, and hated that she loved. She did not cry in their shed of a home, she did not pout or complain. Her face was of pure joy and her connection- loyal, to her mother and only her mother. Her mother tried everything she could to loathe the girl, to find any reason that could be the final push of giving her up.

Quite often her mother was known for her obnoxious, desperate screams of frustration for how she despised her own life.

Of course- Thea couldn't understand her mother, but her words translated to what Thea became accustomed to, and only gave her more reason to giggle.

"You filthy child-, I wish I never got knocked up by that son of a-" the shrill screams of despair and sobbing overruled her act of love and she stifled sobs.

The emotional turmoil never ended, Theas mother's frustration heightened at the sound of her laugh in response to her sobbing. The giggles that ran from the tops of her tongue to her mother's eardrum were violent but only so violent that it was considered bearable.

September

Please, Bo, I can't handle her on my own. You promised if I had the baby you wouldn't leave me. You promised you would stop playing for me. You promised you would stay. Together forever Bo, that's what you promised.

The little girl, looking up to her mother, would often hear the screams of desperation into the yellow phone mounted on the wall. Of course, she never assumed there was anyone on the other line, being she was a small-minded baby.

October

You filthy son of a bitch. Do you care about a game? More than you do me?

Of course, the baby Thea was unaware of this, the woman she adored giving her bits of attention every so often, and how the child reveled in the scent of alcohol that stunk from her filthy blouse and breath.

So what made the girl of lights and purity in her eyes turn to a side of carelessness, with no regard for society or its difficulties?

Thea was a glitch, a hiccup in what society should be as perfect. As long as she was alive, society would never reach perfection.

Thea never thought she would meet another glitch.

December

Come back please, I need you. I want to keep her, please don't make me send her away. I promise I love her.

Only then were their shrill beeps up the phone hanging up, lasting for hours, as her drunk mother lay passed out on the floor.

So when she ended up on the doorstep of Methuen's Orphanage for Girls, she proved herself wrong. She wasn't always ruthless. To the girl that went by the name Beth, Elizabeth Harmon, she found her special other little hiccup in this too large of a world.

Was Beth the downfall that ruined Thea or was she the one to aid in picking up the pieces left shattered by her mother?

That story would be for another day though- hopefully, a day where Thea wouldn't be alive to be forced to answer.

This is a prologue which is why it was so short. ALSO, Benny will show up soon don't worry, this is more of a slow burn type story ;).
December 2nd, 2020