six

I bounce my legs against the hard plastic bench just outside the daycare center. It's hot now that the sun is in full effect and I can feel the sweat gathering on the back of my thighs.

Thank God the canvas pants I changed into are thick enough to hide it. My top, light and airy but sophisticated, was another good choice. Fanning my forehead, I twist my hair anxiously around my fingers. Not wearing a pony tail? Not a good choice.

The three year olds playing in the sandbox just a few feet in front of me giggle loudly. The sound makes me smile - pure, unfiltered joy. A little boy with big, green eyes makes a roaring sound as he squishes his castle, proudly destroying his last ten minutes work.

I check the thin leather watch on my wrist another time. I'd stopped by the diner but had been correct the first time - the hours were too unpredictable, Grams wouldn't ever get settled into a routine. Try as she may to get me to leave her alone, the whole point of coming down is to be helpful.

I did stop by and chat with a couple people about dog walking, too, just to get my due diligence in but... I might as well get myself a metal detector and scan the beach for gold at that point. There's just not enough business here to make any money with it.

Pulling my hair into a low pony, I tie it back loosely as to not leave a crease. I really need this job. Flipping through the other listings at town hall in my head, I flatten out my shirt again nervously.

I really don't want to serve sticky ice cream to snotty pre-teen boys all summer.

Ugh. I shudder.

"Dylan Anderson?"

I stand at my name, greeting a petite woman in denim shorts and a green tank top. Her button says Miss Erica, so I know that she's the one conducting my interview. She's also the owner of the center, so it's nice to see that she seems down to earth. I feel a little less nervous about my sweaty forehead now.

"That's me." I stick my hand out, "It's great to meet you."

"Likewise." She looks me over casually while glancing at my resume, ramped up by numerous collegiate extracurriculars that don't matter much now that I've dropped out. Her brows furrow and I know she's trying to place why my name is so familiar but I don't give anything away. Finally she gives up. "Well why don't we go inside where it's cooler,"

I follow after her as she points out various rooms and stations. The center watches infants, toddlers and preschoolers in three different rooms, each equipped to deal with the basic and developmental needs of each group. This position is for the toddler group - they need another assistant to the Room Coordinator to help with the more mundane tasks throughout the day.

As we pass by the toddler room, I peer inside at the bright yellow walls, decorated with bumblebees and butterflies. A learning wall is decorated with letters and shapes, numbers and colors, weather charts and calendars, and more than I even thought possible for such tiny humans. Cubbies and snack tables fill one corner while the other houses a bathroom with an adorable little kiddie toilet.

"And this is my office," Erica finally holds her arm out to the doorway for me, leading me into a small but cool room. Grateful for the air conditioning, I scan the motivational posters plastered to the walls.

"Thank you," I take a seat on one of the guest chairs facing her desk. She sits behind it, the surface covered in little sloth trinkets, and I continue. "The center is great, it seems like a really rewarding place to work."

"I appreciate that." Erica nods, folding her hands and smiling easily. "I'll be honest - we really just need someone responsible to help watch the kids. Do you have any experience working with children?"

"I was a Big Sister for my chapter in college," I reply, "My Little was a bit older though, probably six or seven. But we'd go to the park or the movies a lot. After homework, of course."

Erica nods, tucking a grey-ish blonde hair behind her ear. The rest of her hair sticks out haphazardly around her head, probably frizzy from today's humidity.

"Your reference from the library was great - perfect attendance and punctuality, reliable, strong work ethic..." Erica purses her lips. "Look, I'm in a pinch. The center gets busy for the summer starting next week and my assistant left me without any notice."

I bite my lip, wondering if this means I've got the job. I wait patiently, nodding my head and listening for the rest.

"Tell you what, if you can start Monday, we'll sign a probationary contract. You can work Monday through Friday?" She asks, somewhat distracted as she begins pulling forms from her desk drawer.

I nod eagerly, taking every piece of paper she hands to me.

"And you're here at least until the fall right?" Erica eyes me pointedly, irises an icy blue that seem to pierce right through me.

"Absolutely." I promise. And not a moment longer, I add to quietly myself.

Noticeably less tense, Erica smiles widely and hands me a pen. "Perfect. Sign here,"

Yay Dylan! What could be better than spending all summer with sticky toddlers? Let me know what you think in the comments - thanks for reading loves ❤️