four

Pulling my denim jacket tighter around my thin tank top, I enter the town hall building and quickly scan the lobby for the job listing board. Finding it easily, I lamely make my way over, spotting only one older man in the area. Figuring it'll never be emptier than this, I decide to go for it.

Pulling out my phone, I take photos of any prospects - a dog walker, a waitress at the old diner - although the schedule is a bit too unpredictable for Grams, a summer camp counselor for toddlers...

"Find anything good?"

My jaw clenches immediately at Luke's voice. "Stalking me now?" I ask, turning to face him slowly with raised brows.

His lips curve into a half-smile. "Nah. Getting some errands done for the store - it's just a small town." Luke leans down a couple of inches so that he's whispering in my ear. "Or don't you remember?"

He straightens, his half-smirk turning into a full, smug grin as my own words work against me. Away from Grams, some of his easy charm is replaced with slight standoffishness.

"Anyways, good luck. If you need anything, I can get you in touch with my dad."

Standoffish or not, I know the offer is genuine. Exasperated with yet another handout from him, I throw my hands up in frustration. "I don't need your help, Luke. Just leave it alone."

A quick scan of the room reveals too late that more people have arrived since I initially got here. Unfortunately for me, the few newcomers include Janet Simmons, the towns most notorious gossip. As her eyes widen at the drama unfolding, I curse myself for not being more careful. Me being back here at all is drama enough for good, old Janet.

Lowering my voice, I drag Luke from the main room into a small, unoccupied conference space down the hall.

"If you wanted me alone, you could've just asked." Luke teases, adjusting his backwards ball cap over his grown out, dark locks.

"Luke, I mean it. Just stop - the stuff with Grams, the flirty comments, all of it. I'm here, I don't like it, but I am. I have to be here, but we don't have to do this." I gesture between our bodies, hoping he gets what I'm saying.

"Flirty comments?" Luke raises his dark brows, clenching his jaw as he processes my argument. "Okay, back up Dyl..." Feeling my glare, he corrects himself immediately. "Dylan. Look - I won't stop helping your grandmother. It's the right thing to do and I've known her forever. But I'll stop getting in your way." He leans back against the long wooden table in the center of the room. "The rest of 'this' - well, I don't know what you're talking about Dylan Grace."

I cross my arms over my chest and feel my nostrils flare at him. I clench my jaw, realizing that the illusion hasn't totally faded after all. Butterflies awaken deep in my belly but my red hot anger shuts them down. Luke's smug smile grows wider as if he can read my mind.

"We're not friends, okay?" I snap, turning to leave from the room.

"We used to be a lot more." His voice drops lower and my chest constricts tightly.

I know. Summers spent wrapped in his arms, legs a tangled mess lying in the hammock, his kisses soothing me to sleep as we camped out on the beach, turning into passionate sneak-outs almost every night haunt my memories, even when I'm far away from this place.

"And we aren't anymore." I force myself back to the present, fixing my gaze steadily on him. "Whose fault is that?"

With that, Luke's face falls. He drops his head and after I'm sure he won't make another attempt at reeling me back in, I leave him alone in the conference space.

Having gotten some of what I came for and needing an escape from Janet's intrusive staring, I make a beeline towards the exit.

Without thinking, I find myself walking in the direction of an old favorite of ours - the little smoothie place just a few minutes from the arcade. Lured by old traditions, I make my way inside, the fresh smell of melon and berries hanging in the air. Picking a neon green seat at the bar, I place an order for a strawberry banana and wait patiently, gazing out the window and towards the ocean.

That's my favorite thing about this little town - almost everywhere has a view of the ocean. The waves - crashing against the surf - are never far off. At any moment, you could wander off and find the shoreline, wade into the dark depths and fade away into nothing at all.

"Dylan?" Yet another voice that brings back years of memories with just a couple of syllables. Although this one is slightly more welcome than Luke's.

Turning in my swivel-stool, I face the bouncy head of tight curls and chocolate eyes that I'd been avoiding for so long.

"Brynn!" I return the hug when she leans in and continue playing my part. "It's so good to see you!"

Thanks for reading loves! Whatcha think so far??❤️