twenty-eight

I wipe a hand across my forehead, sticky with sweat even though it's barely nine in the morning, and use the other to pull open the door to the smoothie shop.

I wait in line, pulling my hair into a high pony,  grateful for the air conditioning frantically humming in the background.

This week was better than last: my parents went home, finally somewhat satisfied with my plan to endure the summer. Tabby, the head Room Coordinator at the daycare, is back and recovered from her flu, and the toddlers seem to know she runs the roost. We survived with minimal tantrums and a lot less exhaustion on the adults end than my first week.

To top it off, Finn's mom, Laura, came by every day to pick him up, and Tabby handled the check outs anyways, so I haven't had to see Luke Henson once.

Overall, a good week in my book.

Still, I wanted to sleep in. Grams didn't let me, waking me up bright and early with extra cash to stop by the bakery on my way to Brynn's house to begin planning the Summer Bash.

From what I remember, Brynn wasn't big on sweets. A super fresh mango smoothie was more her style, and so here I am.

"Excuse me?" A calloused finger taps my shoulder.

I turn, greeted by eyes blue like the ocean. They look familiar, but I can't place them.

"Dylan, right?" He smiles, brilliantly white against his tan skin.

My brows furrow. "I'm sorry..." I squint, trying to recall where I know the man from.

"Ryan, remember? We met at the bonfire?" He grins sheepishly, nodding me forward in line.

"One sec," I mumble, facing the young girl at the register. "A large mango and peach smoothie and a large iced green tea, please." I hand over the cash and turn back to the hunk behind me, his face still fuzzy in my memory.

"You said we met at the bonfire?" I cock my head to the side.

"Before your boyfriend broke us up. Sorry about that, by the way." He blushes.

Boyfriend? I roll my eyes to the ceiling. Luke. Of course.

"You don't have to worry about that," I sigh, grabbing the beverage tray and a couple of neon straws. "He's not my boyfriend."

He raises his brows at me, "Are you sure?" Then he lifts his hands and shakes his head. "Ya know what? I'll go with it. Does this mean you're free to hang out later?"

He walks backwards as I exit the shop, having not even ordered anything.

I smirk at his effort. "No,"

Ryan surprises me by laughing. "Hard to get, that's fine. I've got a couple weeks."

"Good luck with that," I squint into the sun behind him, a playful smile on my lips.

"I'll see ya." He smiles, tapping my arm quickly before heading back into the smoothie shop.

My grin fades as I reevaluate the fact that I didn't remember Ryan at all. What else did I forget? I cringe, the crude comments about Casey's accident still more memorable than I'd like.

Whatever. I check my phone, ignoring another text from Hunter, and curse. I was supposed to be at Brynn's already.

Adjusting my backpack over my shoulder, I nearly drop the smoothie tray as a tall, fair-skinned girl with flaming hair gets out of the car parked right out front.

The one person I want to see even less than Luke Henson.

Maya Cooper.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your patience with me and this update

If you didn't see my announcement, I had to help out a family member. My schedule is more normal again which means more updates!

Let me know what you think - what's Dylan's problem with Maya????
Much love ❤️
Remember to vote if you liked the chapter!