Chapter 5 ❁ Pride and Prejudice

Start from the beginning

Tears filled my eyes and I pinched the skin on my arm to stop myself from feeling the emotional pain. I can't say it worked.

"Angel?" Draco asked, his voice sounded nervous at my sudden show of emotions.

I looked up at him, that's where I went wrong. I looked up at his goddamn beautiful face and stood up so that I was closer to his height. He looked confused, good. I wiped under my eyes to rid my face of the salty tears.

"You are a piece of shit Malfoy. Don't come looking for me anymore. Don't talk to me anymore. And do not call me Angel anymore."

With that, I stormed down and back into the castle. When I was seated in the Slytherin common room again it was harder to keep the tears from assaulting my face. Draco walked into the common room and searched the space with his eyes. He found me and it looked as if he went numb. I watched him walk up the stairs to the boys dormitories and disappear behind the door I already knew led into his room.

Not being able to control the flow of tears I raced up to my own dorm and found Daphne sitting on her four-poster.

"What's wrong?" she asked me when she saw the tears. Her voice was nervous and sympathetic.

Having nowhere else to go, I sat down on her bed and told her the whole story. By the end she had braided my hair, wiped the tears from my face, and held me in the way only a friend could. It was the first time I felt at home.

"Eve. My darling friend. Don't you think it's a bit too soon to swear him off completely. I mean, he did hear you talk about how much you like Blaise on multiple occasions," she explained.

"Yeah. Yeah I suppose you're right," I replied.

"Okay well why don't you go tell him you didn't mean it," she suggested.

"I- I can't."

"What? Why not?"

"I find it... more difficult to speak when I'm around him." I said sheepishly.

Daphne laughed aloud and whacked me over the head with a pillow. "You're an idiot Eve."

That night I couldn't eat anything. Draco's eyes didn't look over to me and I couldn't quite bring myself to tear my own eyes away.

"Quit staring," Daphne whispered so that the others couldn't hear. I gave her the best smile I could offer and turned back to my dinner. Pansy seemed to have noticed our exchange and she scowled at me with a loathing that went far beyond the thoughts I already knew she had about me. I gave her my best smile in return and she rolled her eyes before turning away.

"I'm so very bored here," Pansy complained about half an hour later.

"Where's here?" Millicent asked, reading my mind.

"This table, this school, this stupid friend group. It all hurts my mental health," she droned. I rolled my eyes.

"It's better than not having any friends at all," I told her truthfully.

"Well you would know wouldn't you. A silly little mudblood like you who can't be sorted and can't fit in anywhere," she taunted. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut.

"Well it's true isn't it. You're just a nasty creature that wormed it's way into this house, this group, this school and this world. You don't belong here. Go back to whatever cave you came from," she nagged.

"She belongs here more than you ever will Parkinson," a cool voice said from behind me. I turned to face the speaker finding none other than Draco Malloy standing there.

"Come on Angel lets go," Draco said grabbing my hand which was hanging in the air near my face. I cringed away from my nickname but stood up in shock, not quite knowing what else to do.

I followed him out of the great hall and into the corridor. We didn't speak until he had shut and locked the door of his dormitory. His four poster bed was the only one made. His nightstand was the only one piled with books of choice not just school books.

I looked around in surprise seeing that despite the lack of decorations in his corner of the room it was quite neat and full of quills and bits of spare parchment.

"You pulled me away from dinner for what?" I questioned.

"It didn't seem like you were eating very much Angel," he said soothingly.

"I told you not to call me that anymore," I said angrily.

"Maybe. That doesn't mean I'll stop," he smiled coyly.

"Arse," I muttered under my breath. He just smiled again and acted as if I hadn't said anything.

"Anyway I've pulled you away from dinner because I thought you might want to know something. You told me to stay away from you and I obeyed for several hours but found it very difficult. You do stupid things at all times of the day and it's hard not commenting and telling you what you're doing wrong. So I've decided what I'll do," he told me.

I waited for a moment but he didn't continue. "What have you decided Draco?"

"Glad you asked. Well I've decided to disregard the conversation we had earlier. I cannot and will not avoid you," he said smoothly. I stared at him in astonishment.

"I-," I started.

"Yeah yeah. It's all a very Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy, brooding issue. Don't get used to it."

"You've read Pride and Prejudice? It's a muggle book!" I remarked.

"It is also one of your favorites is it not?" he asked.

"Yes but how did you know?" I asked quietly.

"I saw it in your book bag and thought I'd give it a try. I must admit, despite the out-of-date romanticized bits it's a fairly complex book."

"That's where my copy went?" I asked, astounded.

"Yes," he held up my copy. "I think I'll keep it and read it once or twice more before giving it back if that's alright with you,"

All I could do was nod.

So finally when Draco sent me out of his room my mind was somehow more confused and less scrambled at the same time.