"And what if it is the other way around?" I shot at her.

"Absolutely no need to worry about that." Her smile was dismissive.

I bit my inner cheek and silently stewed. I wondered how pompous she'd still feel if she knew I'd already slept with the boss, not once nor twice; albeit a long time ago.

***

8 years ago...

"I'm not going to lie, I'll probably ditch you like within the next five minutes." My roommate, Demi said.

"Expected nothing less." I said.

"All you have to do is tag along or come find me." She grinned and we walked into the frat house together. It was my sixth Friday night on campus and Demi, who was in her second year had resigned herself to keeping me from spending another night reading and lamenting about everything.

The party was already in full swing when we arrived. The frat house reeked of hormones, sweat, alcohol and sex. I crinkled my nose and nearly tripped over a transparent plastic cup that had been carelessly discarded.

"Careful there," Demi righted me.

"Demi, yo!" A pink haired girl came along and dragged my roommate away.

"And then there was me." I sighed looking around. There was nothing fun about partying alone. My phone beeped from the pocket of my short flare gown and I removed it.

From: Demilade roomy
be safe babe n kitchen is d first door on d right frm main door n don't be a loner n come find me if u want!♡

I didn't reply her message but rather followed her directions till I was in the kitchen. Only a couple deeply engrossed in each other sat on the counter, surrounded by empty cans and cups, were there. I stepped past them to the fridge and pulled out what looked like a beer.

I wondered upstairs with my beer in hand hoping to find an empty room to lock myself in. I had the option of going to look for Demi and actually partying but I was feeling a bit melancholic tonight and preferred to remain alone.

Two occupied rooms later, I finally found an empty one. The lighting was dark but the silhouette of everything inside was clear enough. I locked the door with the key and moved to the bed then sat on the edge. Two minutes into a video about dolphins on my phone, another door in the room opened and a guy came out.

"I'm sorry, is this your room?" I asked standing up from the bed.

He walked closer.

"Ophelia?"

I stared at the stranger who knew my name, in question, till recognition clicked.

"Oh, you're the guy who spilled his coffee all over me."

"By mistake, yes." He smiled, "Why are you up here and not down there?" He sat on the bed and leaned against the headboard.

"My roommate ditched me but really I'm just having one of those days," I shrugged and sat down back but faced him, "is that a bathroom?"

He nodded then explained. "This is the head frat's room."

I tilted my head, "you don't really come across as a frat boy."

"God no," he laughed, "this is my friend's room, I stay off campus."

I nodded then he spoke again.

"So how do you like New York now?" He smirked.

"Still not as inclined. The weather is terrible." I said and he laughed again.