46.

"What did you say?" Will faced him squarely.

Jiggy didn't seem as smug anymore. He appeared subdued even. Now that was odd. What was the vile man up to?

"The blondie that was killed left something behind." He uncharacteristically confessed and tucked his hands into his pockets.

"What did she leave behind?"

"Follow me." He started walking.

"Like hell, we will," I scoffed.

"I ain't lying, come see for yourself."  He took another step forward but Will tripped him then held him up by the collar of his shirt.

"Any funny business and you're dead, got it?"

Jiggy grunted but nodded and Will released him. I held Will back from following him.

"He's got to be lying. There's no way she left something behind for him of all people."

"I know but it can't hurt to try remember? And worst case, I can handle him. Would you rather stay here?"

"No, I'll go too." I quickly declined.

"You two coming or what?" Jiggy yelled from where he was and I flipped him off. We soon joined him at the top of the stairs and followed him all the way up into his apartment. The place was filthy, reeked of beer and an unnameable weird smell I concurred was probably just Jiggy. How the vile man ended up with the property and became a landlord still baffled me.

Will and I stood close to the door while he went in further and opened a cupboard. He rummaged through then finally brought something out. For a second, I pictured he really was fooling us and would pull out a gun on us, but instead he brought out a folded piece of paper.

"Are you shitting us right now?" I got annoyed.

"I never wanted the damned thing." He grumbled then tossed the paper to Will who caught it. It was folded into the shape of a small envelope and when Will shook the contents out onto his palm, something fell out. I went completely still. There in the middle of Will's hand was a small unmistakable object. A black memory card. His hand closed around it and he raised his head to glare at Jiggy.

"Where did you get this?"

"I told ya, blondie left it behind."

"You're going to have to give us more than that. How about the truth?" I said calmly although my mind and heart were racing. It was a memory card—no doubt about it. But was it the memory card? Could it even be the memory card? All of this was absurd.

"Why did she give you this?" Will enunciated. "If she really did."

"She was in a rush and dropped the damned thing, okay? I was in my spirits and picked it up thinking it was some cash." He had the decency to look embarrassed. "I got sober and saw it wasn't, I was going to return it I swear, I mean she was a good tenant, always paid her rent on time but she got herself killed and I couldn't."

"And now you're just giving it to us?" Will lifted a brow skeptically. "Have you seen what's on it?"

He reached for an open beer can and gulped. Something akin to fear entered his eyes and he bristled. "There's crazy shit on there and I don't want no hand in it. You two are the first to come here snooping so better you two than me."