33.

"My sister's son got his head stuck in his grandma's wheelchair, I don't know how either but I have to run now." Heather explained while hastily arranging her desk and handbag.

"Shit, that's really a hassle. Kids scare me."

"Honest to God, me too." She sighed.

"Goodluck getting the little guy's head unstuck. I'll deal with things here."

"Thank you and enjoy the rest of your birthday!" She waved before carrying her bag and rushing towards the elevator. I looked down the empty hallway once Heather had completely disappeared from sight and finally at the small pile of unfinished work on my desk.

"Let's finish this P," I breathed out.

Close to thirty minutes later, I was filing away the last meeting minute when the abrupt sound of footsteps startled me. My hands fastened around my chest and I cursed after seeing who it was.

"You're still here."

I stared at William, who nearly just sent me into a cardiac arrest. He was causally dressed in denim pants and a t-shirt. I coughed and stood straighter.

"I'm about to leave."

"I need to get something. I'll be out now." He said and went into his office. A whole minute must have passed before he came out again. In that time, I finished putting the file away and clearing my desk.

"I'll drop you off."

"That's not necessary." I said and moved to lock the doors.

"I insist, miss Duhamels."

I turned around. He had his arms crossed. Moments from our last conversation before now played in my head.

"Okay sir."

I wasn't certain but what looked like a smile flashed across his lips before he turned, walking towards the elevator. The ride down was silent and the walk to his car was even quieter. The silence gave room for a lot of thoughts. Awry thoughts. Somewhere along the ride to my apartment, I started wondering if he knew today was my birthday then almost immediately felt stupid. I couldn't even remember his at first.

"Thank you," I said once the car stopped and quickly alighted.

"Miss Duhamels?"

I turned.

"Don't be late to the airpot tomorrow."

I was about to respond with a customary eye roll but he spoke again.

"And happy birthday." He held out a small bag and my eyes widened. In a bit of a daze, I leaned forward and collected it.

"What is–" I started asking but he drove off before I could get the rest of the words out. I was still in amazement that he remembered my birthday and even got me a gift when I reached my apartment.

"Ta-da!"

Cece was there the moment I opened the door and I stared at the table, full of food, behind her with wide, gleeful eyes.

"Wow, I haven't seen this much food since Thanksgiving." I laughed.

"I may have gotten a little carried away with the food." She smiled guiltily.

"A little." I continued laughing

"What's that you got there?"

I dropped my handbag and lifted the small bag.

"A gift," the words sounded strange leaving my mouth.

"Have you opened it? Who's it from?"

"There's a long rectangular box inside." I said while bringing the box out. Its packaging was navy blue with ribbons at the sides and when I lifted the cover, my breath caught. It was a sliver necklace with a pendant shaped like a key. The pendant was encrusted in little stones that glistened in the light.