ᴛᴇɴ | ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀꜱ

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐕𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬.

It, therefore, might be reasonable to presume that the couples themselves don't actually have to do any real competing. If we're being purely theoretical, it would be enough for them to sit idle and pretty and in love, all the while patiently hoping that someone will take notice of their overflowing affection.

This would only be partially correct.

In reality, people do anything but wait to be noticed.

Serenades under classroom windows. Rose petals falling out of lockers. Kisses shared in the middle of the class. February is still a week away, but Silena has already had enough.

The one thing she takes some comfort in is the knowledge that she probably won't have to do much to get noticed. She and Mena have already garnered their fair share of attention with the stunt that they pulled last Friday, at the football game.

As it turns out, people do actually enjoy drama- and nothing in Silverwood high has ever been quite as dramatic as the golden couple breaking up, followed by the guy flirting with the girl's roommate, only for the girl to end up in a gay relationship with the said roommate instead. Although begrudgingly, Silena has to give credit where credit is due, and admit that maybe Mena does know a thing or two about getting people to talk.

Another advantage that they have, despite her dismissal of the topic, is the fact that hardly anyone can rival Silena's popularity. At least, now that Jonah is out of the picture.

To be honest, she really isn't sure why that is. Most of the time, she doesn't even talk to people, and on the odd occasion when she does, she's not exactly all that charming about it. Not like Jonah, Emilia- or even Mena- are, anyway.

Mena tried to explain it to her by spouting some nonsense about aloof dark-haired love interests in YA fiction, as well as the attractive yet elusive air of mystery that they use to intentionally draw people in. Still, Silena isn't sure how that has anything to do with her.

She doesn't even have dark hair.

The bad part (because there always has to be a bad part) is that despite it all, they still have to make sure that people actually know that they are now officially a thing. A couple. Going steady.

You get the gist.

Which includes doing things together.

Things, such as going to parties.

Silena doesn't hate parties, per se, but it definitely wouldn't be a lie to say that she dislikes them strongly. Neither big crowds nor loud noises are something she particularly enjoys. The dancing aspect of it is fun, but much less so once you become aware of the fact that most of the dance moves that appear to be happening are either mindless jumping or tasteless grinding.

Mena, on the other hand, is thrilled.

When isn't she, really?

As soon as the party was mentioned, she took a little black dress out of her suitcase. Then, having learned a thing or two from her unfortunate venture into the snow wearing nothing but a sweater, she also put on a matching set of a pink hat, scarf and gloves. And leg warmers, just to be sure.