Enemy of the Kaiuni-Chapter 6

Enemy of the Kaiuni: Chapter 6

(as told by Radiance)

Eternal's plants are much different than Earth's. For one, we have a thousand times more different species than Earth does, and Earth already has a lot. Almost every plant one sees on Eternal is different than others seen before. They all breathe in CO2 like Elandorians and out O2.

Alciria are the ones who breathe in O2 and out CO2 to keep the atmosphere balanced. There are many more Alciria than Elandorians, so the atmosphere has a large portion of oxygen and very little carbon dioxide. Humans can breathe the air on Eternal, we brought one back long ago to find out.

Elandorians naturally see ultraviolet light and the visible light spectrum, but not x-rays, infrared, or any other beams. So flowers look different to us than humans, but the same as to bees and goldfish, species that exist on both Eternal and Earth with tiny deviations.

We have one species of native goldfish, the rest are from Earth. Our species of goldfish is called Sive Fantail. They are exactly like fantail goldfish, except they are the size of a human school bus, are saltwater-only fish, and are highly aggressive carnivorous fish that frequently disrupt the underwater cities. Our bees' only deviation from Earth bees is that they make fructose juice out of nectar, instead of honey. I don't know how the process works, but I know its extremely complex and I couldn't understand even if I tried.

Bees love trileaf flowers. They should be called tripetal flowers, since the name refers to the three petal shape, but they're called trileaf. They have three petals connected strongly together, a crown structure bees get nectar from, and they have dark markings only those with ultraviolet pattern-sensitive eyes can see. Humans' 'invisible ink' we can see even without the special light. The dark marks on trileaf flowers are triangles on the petals and a circle around the crown.

Trileaf flowers are pretty common. Another common flower are the platpyramids. The flower is completely flat, and these three big growths come up separately from the flower base and emit seeds when fertilized by their pollen, carried by the wind or sometimes insects. The platpyramids are always either a blue, a red, or when the combined dominate genes collide, a purple color is formed.

I have an extremely rare plant in my yard though. It isn't full-grown, but when it is, the flower will be valuable. I don't want to lose it, because I carried this flower out of the caves and planted it here.

It's called a black-blue bulb vine. They must be started growing in the caves, but after that they can be grown aboveground. The flower cup-shaped petal is black, but the spherical bulb inside is dark blue. The plant grows as an ivy.

I don't want to leave yet because there's still adventure and opportunities to be had on this planet with Krylon. He wants off ASAP and I used to too. But plants like this black-blue bulb vine have proven to me that I'm not ready to leave just yet.