Enemy of the Kaiuni-Chapter 3

Enemy of the Kaiuni: Chapter 3

(as told by Radiance)

My house is basically one room. The walls are unpainted wooden boards and the biggest piece of furniture is a dark brown wooden bunk bed that goes clear to the ceiling in height. I mostly sleep on the top bunk and work on the bottom one. I have to use my Trait to get all the way on top, but I don't mind. I love my Trait.

I'm sitting on the bottom bunk rubbing my hand gently over the laptop cover. The metallic finish makes it feel cold. The laptop is neon orange and shiny gray colored with rubbery orange grips to the side. Finally something GOOD can actually be mine.

There's a small peach colored ceramic-coated bathroom with a toilet, sink, and shower crammed together. The only other connection to my house is a short entryway to the outside with a window in the door frame. The rest of the property I own is all lawn, garden, and park area. It all adds up to about three acres to myself.

I'm rich compared to the other kids even with my tiny house, not considering the surrounding lawn, because that makes me wealthy among adults. Children normally have to share five to a room half this house's space. I found enough salable goods to buy this place and not soon enough. Another Malacentwertle was about to move into my old kiddie group. That would have gotten ugly.

There's no property taxes or anything I'll owe on this house or other taxes until I hit six feet tall, according to the law. And since I'll never grow to six feet, I never have to pay taxes. Unfortunately it also means I'm a child legally forever, but I can escape from that. I'm smart enough to wriggle my way off Eternal eventually.

"So how do I work this thing...?" I mumbled aloud.

The Earth object was still the most important topic on my mind. Human technology about space and computers has gotten so much better than anything Elandorians have come up with in the past few decades. All Elandorian space ships are stored and launched from the underwater cities. I think it'd be much smarter to store and launch them from the cities CLOSER TO SPACE IN THE FIRST PLACE, but no one ever asked me, the rich dwarf kid. The nearest underwater city to Star Strike is Snow Bay, and they fortunately do have a small spaceport. I'll probably end up leaving from there.

I flipped the laptop lid up and turned it on. The laptop was old-fashioned, it didn't project the image straight into your mind, it stayed on the screen. The user of it didn't set a password for the login, so I got in very quickly.

I could get to games. And that was it. No stored files of anything, not pictures, videos, or information typed up. I was frustrated. How could this be such a loose end for me?! I was supposed to use this to further my own ends, get off doomed Eternal, and leave the Bellatrix system forever with this laptop, so I'm a goner!!!

I tried to steady my breathing. "Okay. Calm down. There must be something useful on here. Something I can use to get to Snow Bay and then past Xylem and Phloem, farther than I've ever been from this accursed planet. But how do I do it?"

Fate has a funny way of answering my rhetorical questions sometimes.