010

chapter ten
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
ii. sky island arc

Shoto picked up the logs laying near the fences of this remotely small and lonely island. Sweat dropped by his temple as he raised the wood to his shoulder, squinting his eyes slightly by the weight.

"Jeez, you didn't tell me you can't carry a small piece of log." Zoro huffed, hiding his concerned expression behind his disconcerting eyes.

"I can." Shoto insisted, proving only so as he drew closer to the fireplace.

Ignoring the salty marimo, the heterochromatic male found himself approaching the living room of a friendly man's home, taking a seat peacefully by the side as the rest of the Strawhats listened to the storybook.

"Nice of you to join us, Shoto." Luffy grinned, only feeling positive as he was enticed of the new idea of adventure.

"Yeah. . ." Said male trailed off, scratching the back of his neck.

"That was one announcement you made earlier, Shoto." Usopp grinned, slinging an arm around the older boy's shoulders, pulling him closer to him and Chopper.

The little doctor nodded in agreement to his words.

"But-"

"Yeah. Did you know that having a scar is manly?" Usopp brought up. "I would like a scar if the time comes but I'm not exactly asking for it."

"Well. . . I got this when I was a child, it's not exactly manly." Shoto chastised.

"Shoto has a point." Robin butts in politely, giving a close eyed look. "Scars are often not as nice as you think it is, Usopp." She lectures, scolding him for his apathetic words.

Feeling uncomfortable of the topic being currently discussed.

"That's enough." Sanji drove the boys away from bothering Shoto who was visibly not so fond of their topic on hand. In hopes to get the male to regain his personal space, he left Shoto to listen to the book without having to worry about Usopp.

Shoto never revealed the secret in his powers. Just about his scar.

"Noland was the proclaimed great liar." The heterochromatic male began, thoughtfully thinking the story over whilst wondering why it seemed so familiar.

Cricket nodded at the new presence before presenting the book once more.

"He claimed that there was a city of Gold, and when the time came for him to show it's existence. It disappeared." Cricket told, face gloomy upon uttering those words.

"So what happened to the Island? An Island can't just magically disappear especially if it was made out of gold." Nami stated bluntly, her idea of money now gone as to know that the very thing she was interested on had disappeared long ago.

"Disappear out of existence? No, that's not possible at all." All eyes shifted to the 2-colored-hair. "What if we say it just moved its location? Which is more possible since back in the void century, a place often found by people can be driven away by the sea's condition. Only if the said place isn't stable enough to root in one place."

"Void century?" Robin's eyes were now hard fixated on Shoto. How would he know about history? Was he in any way like her?

Realizing that he said too much, the male shrunk on his seat. "Well- that was the history taught to us by our sensei." He explained.

"Us? There are more people who know about history like you out there?"

"Not exactly out there." Shoto told, remembering how everyone from his world were not exactly in these seas. And that not everyone were willing to listen and learn about the past like him.

They say the past is in the past anyways.

Yeah, right.

"Well, our main point with you wanting to reach Sky Island is to first find the southern bird." Cricket explained, urging the Strawhats to the Forest to find their main tool upon reaching the said Island that was never believed to have exist in the first place.

"Southern bird?"

"Its head faced the south always, a pretty handy compass if you ask me. You'll need the bird upon reaching Sky Island." The old man explained further.

Downing this information, Nami separated them into groups, in task if finding the bird in different directions.

Looking at Cricket, it was sometimes hard to believe that he was the descendant of Noland, the Liar. Considering just how honest he is. Maybe the island that Noland claimed to have seen was real. Who knows?

Guiding the marimo with no sense of direction, Shoto made sure to tug on Zoro's shirt once in a while just to make sure he followed. This gesture drew out frustration from the mosshead.

"I know where to go." He argued.

"Yeah right. You were just moving towards left earlier."

After a few minutes of having to drag the swordsman to their direction. They were finally engulfed in darkness, making Shoto light up a few specks of his hair just to welcome their visions.

"I can see the bird from the distance. It's headed to Sanji and Nami's direction." Shoto stated to his partner. "Let's just let them get it." But before he could finish his sentence, Zoro had already chased after the bird.

"No way I'm gonna let the shitty cook best me in this."

"Now is not the time for rivalry!" Shoto groaned out, feeling tired for simply being in Zoro's presence. He quickly followed him behind nonetheless.

Suddenly, the marimo halted into a stop, looking around for a direction while seemingly getting lost. Because of this, the younger male pinched the bridge of his nose.

"You got us lost."

"We're not lost." Zoro interjected.

"We clearly are. This isn't even in an appropriate place in the forest anymore. We can get eaten by wild animals here anytime."

"Then stick close if you're scared."

"I'm not scared."

Deciding to take matters in his own hands, Shoto dragged Zoro into the direction they once came from. Lighting up wild fire on his hair just to be guided by the light.

He came into a stop.

"Which way do you think should we take?" Shoto asked Zoro who rolled his eyes and pointed to the left.

"Let's go that way."

"Alright." But instead of moving into the left, Shoto smartly went to the right, now being able to see light from afar.

"Hey! I thought we were going left."

"You said left. You have a terrible sense of direction. It would be wiser to go in the opposite way from what you pointed." Shoto shrugged. Zoro would make a great compass.

"Hey!"

But as soon as they reached the start of the forest in which where they came from. They could see a beaten up Cricket and a very dangerously angered Luffy who's hat was shadowing his deadly serious eyes.

"Did we miss something?"

But after putting pieces together, it was easier to assume that someone had beaten up the old man Cricket and took all of the gold he has worked hard for.

But before Shoto could ask who did it, Luffy had already left, ignoring Nami's words of maybe missing the water stream this morning where they would need to ride. But Luffy stated he would be back before then.

And watching as their Captain left with the goals to pursue Bellamy and his crew for harming and stealing from the old man. Shoto then realized just how he chose the right Captain and Crew.

There was no mistake at all.