070

chapter seventy
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xiii. punk hazard arc

Shoto was aimlessly circling the outside of the facility, wondering how on earth he can enter without having to make his presence known.

It proved to be pointless as he eventually settled down on the snow, seating himself as he leans against the frozen wall the building. Before making actions, he should be in his best condition first.

And he works best when it's cold and he's full.

Unraveling the wrapping, it revealed a bento box, seems to be frozen too. It's perfect. Shoto brought a piece to his mouth and he tasted heaven.

Well, more precisely-- ice.

But it didn't bother him since he actually prefers cold food rather than those hot ones that would burn his tongue the moment he takes a little bite.

Too engulfed in his food, he failed to notice the door open and the face he was looking for appear before him.

"Icey-ya."

His head snapped back up in an instance, familiarizing the voice as his eyes glanced at the male in front of him. He looked stressed but there was a sense of solace behind his orbs.

"Law," Shoto stood up, intending to approach and interrogate him. But he was halted as soon as Law walked towards him himself.

"You're not supposed to be here."

"Neither are you." The heterochromatic states plainly.

"Caesar is after you and your crew." Law started. "By now, he must have already sent the Yeti Brothers."

Shoto was alarmed upon hearing it. "Yeti? You mean they're after my crew at this very moment?"

"They must have already arrived at this point."

The heterochromatic reached for his den den mushi, only to see the poor snail had frozen, sick beyond compare. Law glanced at the snail in pity, it was partly Shoto's fault for having not provided proper layers of clothing.

Clothing. . . Now that he mentions it.

"You're going to get hypothermia." The Surgeon's brows furrowed as he stared at Shoto's clothing choice. A button-up hawaiian shirt, a pair of shorts, and barefooted. . . He looks like he's in a beach vacation. He was severely underdressed at this temperature.

"Nothing to worry about."

"Take my coat." What was he doing? Law mentally cursed himself. Giving his coat means that he'll suffer in his behalf. But he was a doctor, it was difficult to see all the possible sickness people may catch right in front of him. And Shoto wasn't just a stranger, he was an acquaintance that Law can actually tolerate.

"No, there's really no need to." Shoto shook his head with a blank face. "The cold doesn't bother me anyway."

Law wasn't convinced.

"I have super high tolerance to the cold." Thanks to the way his body is built and the training with Aokiji's extremely cold ice. Walking around this part of island reminds him dearly of his old mentor. "And I can warm myself internally."

What a convenient ability.

"If you say." Law muttered. "You'll at least need footwear though."

"I'm keeping my flip flops safe."

"I don't get you and your flip flops addiction."

Shoto sat back, placing the lunchbox back on his lap, gesturing for Law to join him since he still has to ask multiple question regarding the island and his intentions.

"Takoyaki?" He started off, offering some food.

Law glanced at the frozen food, it doesn't look the most appetizing and it may make him feel even more cold, in risk of diseases.

"Icey-ya, I know you like the cold but that doesn't look edible."

"It's not the looks, Law." Shoto clicked his tongue. "But fine, I guess most people don't appreciate cold food as much as I do." He shrugged.

But he didn't leave it as it is. He ignited the tips of the metal chopsticks with his fire and watched as it cooked the takoyaki backed to its original state.

"Is this better?" Shoto looked at him, looking quite triumphant.

Law stared at it.

"Well, I guess it is." It would be rude to say anything else when the boy had gone through the trouble to turn the food to his liking.

"Say 'ah'."

No way was Law doing it today. How ridiculous can it get? He wonders. Being fed wasn't his most ideal, and he actually would rather feed himself. This was the last thing he wanted to do, but what can he do? From what he can tell, Shoto had a lot to say and to ask, maybe this was his way of 'the calm before the storm'.

Maybe it's a trap.

Law was naturally cautious since Shoto had plenty enough reasons to poison him.

"I have questions first." This was the right decision, ask him before it can go the other way around. Shoto furrowed his brows upon hearing Law's words.

"What is there to ask? Rather, I think you are more informed of the situation than I am."

"I have questions to ask too, Icey-ya."

"Then let's answer honestly. Take turns and then eat this takoyaki." It wasn't even a question anymore, he was demanding it.

Law shifted on his spot before hesitantly nodding.

If this is what it gets him to answer then perhaps the consequences aren't too severe.

"Why did you go here in Punk Hazard specifically?"

"We didn't choose. It just happened that we received a distress call and Luffy wanted to see what's in here." Shoto stated, he was being truthful and Law can tell.

The Surgeon settled back, nodding, as if stubbornly gesturing for Shoto's turn.

"Say 'ah'."

"I'm not hungry." Law pulled the front of his cap.

"It doesn't matter. You'll be hungry eventually anyway since we're going to do some actions later." Shoto bluntly pointed out, alarming the older male.

"No way, you're planning to mess with Caesar? This is a matter your crew shouldn't intervene with. Caesar and Joker are my problem." Law was getting defensive, and it must be a personal thing.

"It doesn't really matter who's problem it is." Shoto insisted. "You saw what they did to the children, didn't you? I can imagine how difficult it must have been for them. Caesar and whoever is behind all that will pay, I'm making sure of it." There was a firm look on his face, it seems like the subject behind it was sensitive.

Law wasn't insensitive enough to brush him off.

"Now eat." Shoto stated, raising the chopstick, heating the takoyaki again since it has gotten cold.

This time, Law didn't interject. He just allowed it to happen by placing a hold on the boy's wrist and guiding the direction. This way, it would be less embarrassing and more bearable for him as it was him who was basically feeding himself.

"Thank you." He muttered in acknowledgement.

"Now, it's my turn to ask the questions." Shoto cleared his throat. He'll make this quick and then return to the crew.