026

chapter twenty six
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
iv. water 7 arc

What happened to the ship?

Shoto stared blankly at the sight in front of him. Usopp and Luffy were fighting? But for what? Why was he feeling such intense atmosphere? Just how much did he miss within a few days?

"Usopp. . . Luffy. . ."

However, he was blatantly ignored by both as he stared at them with unreadable eyes, trying to assess the situation.

"Then fine! You win! I quit! I don't want to be a part of this silly crew anymore! If you're so willing to give up on Merry, then be my guest." Usopp spat out harshly.

And it was only yesterday when Shoto last saw them acting in unison like fated brothers.

"You can keep Merry. We'll just get a new ship." Luffy had a cold tone on his voice, one that Shoto was not familiar with. And hearing their exchange, he immediately put the pieces together and figured out what it was all about.

Hearing those words, Usopp clenched his hand into a fist and turned away.

"Wait, Usopp—" Shoto went to action on grabbing him to stop him from moving, but Luffy had placed an arm out to stop him.

Seeing the look on his Captain's eyes, the heterochromatic chose to stay silent and walk towards where the rest of the crew were. He figured it was a matter that he shouldn't meddle with. Even if it affected everyone greatly.

He only came back from the Company to cure his homesick feeling and this is what he was greeted with. Drama. All the excessive drama that he wishes that wouldn't have anything to do with him.

He had a fair share of his drama at the house, and he can't say he enjoyed it. It was all frustrating but it came naturally.

"Shoto, how was your day?" Sanji asked the boy to lighten the mood as Usopp disappeared from their sights.

Turning to the chef, Shoto sent a small nod of appreciation for his efforts of mending the vibe surrounding them. He then pursed his lips in a thin line while averting his gaze towards the open and vast sea.

"It was good. . . I learned a lot." He replied casually. "And Kaku-san explained to me about the ship so you don't have to worry about me not understanding." Shoto stated. "I understand it's not a business I should involve myself with." He then added.

At least he understood his borders.

"Oh, then that's good. . . But have you heard of Robin? I'm sure the Mayor would know a thing or two and you've been around him these past few days, right?"

"Well, I did hear him mention Robin once. And he also kept her bounty. But I assume it's mainly because a wanted person from the World Government is roaming his city." The boy said, allowing the crew to take in the information presented.

"But Luffy is also wanted, isn't that kinds suspicious?"

"Desperately wanted. She can read Poneglyphs, I'm surprised myself why less World Government agents are trying to pursue her catch."

"I see. . ." Nami nodded along, cutting Sanji off. "It seems like you know a lot about the world now, are your memories resurfacing?" She asked curiously as Shoto sheepishly rubbed his neck.

"I guess you can say that." He told.

Can't the fact that he was slowly learning and getting a grasp of this world ever cross their minds? Or was the thought of adapting so quick just beyond their comprehension? Nonetheless, he kept quite and played along the act he had put in the first place.

"I'm off, I have to help Iceberg Mayor-san with the papers. I'll see you guys some other day." Shoto bluntly stated as he headed back towards the city.

While everyone wanted to stop him and just have him stick by their side for now, they almost forgot that Shoto was an independent male already, he didn't need any kind of guardian. But maybe it was the solemn look on his face that made them hesitate for even the slightest bit.

Homesick? Shoto quickly realized the matters didn't welcome such things like that. This was piracy for god's sake, not a simple game for him to regain his own happiness in which he missed in the past.

Plus, they were probably annoyed with him by now for being so needy. Perhaps distancing himself was a good decision.

After seeing Usopp walk out just like that made him realize that even they have problems and that it was selfish of him to just revolve around his own world while marching to the beat of his own drum.

Clenching his fist as he headed towards the building, he knew he had to play his part too. He can't just be a damsel in distress.

The night had hit the place hard. After Shoto left the building saying he had to meet up with his crew with a fond smile as he told so, Iceberg didn't have a choice but to let him go despite knowing it was dangerous to walk alone.

But he didn't know the only danger there was is with him. A woman barged into his door, dressed in black clothing with a gun in her hand while a man stood by the door with a mask on.

Iceberg wasn't able to identify the man but he was sure that the woman who graced him with her presence was none other than Nico Robin. Just the person he was desperately trying to find and hide from.

She could read the blue print and that was exactly why she was probably there for.

"Nico Robin, the devil child. . ." He mumbled out with narrowed eyes. If Robin was a strawhat for now, then maybe. . . No, the Pirates looked way too dumb for that.

But there was a possibility. Maybe that was why Shoto had left. . . No, the boy wouldn't betray him like that, he was a nice kid. . .

No words had to be exchanged as Robin pulled the trigger with no hesitations. And as he collapsed on the floor facing the door, he watched as it flew open revealing an alarmed Shoto who seemed to have ran his way.

Seeing the imposters caught red handed, he immediately froze the ground beneath them before charging recklessly without knowing what they were capable of.

All he knew was that Shoto was aware that the woman before him was Robin. A nakama. It was known in his actions that he was conflicted himself and didn't know what he should do.

Nonetheless, before his consciousness faded, Iceberg could only rest in relief that it wasn't Shoto who betrayed him. A young innocent boy with wonders surrounding him.