"Do you not like meat or something?" Alec asks. I look up at him and shake my head quickly.

"No, I do. It's nothing," I say it and shrug Axel's arm off me. He goes back to stuffing his face like a pig and I take a bite of steak. It was honestly delicious. When I tried the potatoes, I found they were fresh. Not box potatoes. They were salted and had a bit of pepper, too. They were just creamy enough and, again, delicious. I was surprised by Alec's ability to cook.

Pleasantly surprised.

"Do you like it?" Alec asks. I look up at him and realize I haven't eaten that much.

"Yeah, it's good," I tell them. They nod and and go back to eating. By the time they're done, I've eaten half of my food and was stuffed. It felt like the one Thanksgiving I was with Maggie. I needed to be reassigned to a home, but they needed time. So, while I was staying at a girls home, she took me to her apartment for dinner on Thanksgiving.

The house I was previously in kicked me out. And, they didn't have an immediate house lined up for me. I was kicked out because a friend from school took me to a party my sophmore year. I came home after about three drinks, tripped over their cat on accident, and almost threw up on their actual kid. So, the one decent house I had I fucked up. Shocker.

I push my plate forward, and give Alec a small smile that disappears quickly.

"You're done?" He asks. I nod. "No way, that can't be enough. You haven't eaten all day." I was confused. I was genuinely stuffed.

"I ate," I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"You said you didn't eat at school," he says. I nod.

"I didn't. I went to a girl's house after school and she gave me a granola bar there, so yes. I ate," I say matter of factly. He rolls his eyes.

"Great, you had an after school snack. That's still not enough," he says. I shrug.

"Maybe for you, but I'm full," I say. He looks astounded.

Axel lightly lifts my arm up and makes his thumb and pointer finger into a circle around my wrist. He looks shocked when he sees both my wrists could probably fit in that small circle.

"Holy shit!"

"That seems to be your favorite phrase," I say and pull my hand away from him. He rolls his eyes, then looks at Alec.

"It's like she's a skeleton!" He says. I started to fidget with the necklace again, which got their attention. "Is that-"

"That's mom's," Alec cuts him off and I look up at him. I study his sad expression for a moment before standing up, and quickly leaving the kitchen. On my way towards the stairs the doors open. And I see a man. He had short, dark brown hair, brown eyes, and he was tall. Alec and Axel were tall, but he was the tallest. Probably 6'1 or 6'2. Leaving the others at 6'0 or 5'11. I, on the other hand, am 5'3. Short. I know that a bunch of other people are shorter than me, but I'm short. Especially in this house.

He looks at me, with a serious expression on his face, that melts quickly. It was almost more frightening to see him with a kind smile.

"Adeline. It's great to have you back," he says. Back? As in... I lived here at some point before? No way. If I lived here before then what the hell happened?

"Uh, yeah, sure," I say breifly before continuing my walk to the stairs. He takes a step forward, making my gaze snap to him and me stumble slightly while taking a step away from him. He seems genuinely concerned. Sorry, I don't buy it.

"Well," he clears his throat, "I'm Aiden, your gaudian."

"I figured as much," I say. He straightens himself out, even though I don't think he looked improper before.