They ran as fast as they could refusing to let go of one another. They barrelled into the main building and towards the residential rooms. Martha shoved herself against the door labelled J. Smith and the two tumbled into the room. Martha was in the Doctor's face first.

"They found us." She announced to him.

"This is ridiculous." Joan sighed.

"Girls, I've..."

"They've found us. We've seen them, they look like us like normal people I'm sorry but you've got to open the watch." Martha explained and watched as Valarie shoved past Joan to the fireplace where the fob watch had been rested like a relic best left untouched.

"Are you in a nightgown?" She asked, shocked at what in her mind was immodesty as she watched Valarie moved in the white, frill trimmed night gown. Well, it may have been the slightest bit see through. Valarie turned to Martha, a look of worry on her face and her grey eyes wide.

"It's not here."

"What?"

"The watch, it's gone. It's not here."

"What are you talking about?" John asked, hands on his hips and eyebrow raised.

"You had a fob watch right here. It was always right here!" Martha exclaimed, moving objects and papers to ensure Valarie hadn't missed it.

"Have I?" He asked, his voice almost unsure if he had it himself.

"I can't think what concern of it would it be yours." Joan sighed, having grown tired with the two crazy girls rambling.

"But we need it, oh my god, Doctor we are hiding from aliens and they've possessed Jenny or copied her or something and you have to do something and just tell us where the watch is."

"Oh, I see" He sighed, like he had a realization "cultural differences." He sighed and gazed upon them as if they were stupid. And while Valarie had finally came to a realization of her feelings, it didn't stop her from becoming angry when John Smith said something profoundly stupid. When he held a book out to Martha and began to try to explain what a story was as if she was stupid, Valarie only watched in silence for a few seconds. Then, she decided if the watch wouldn't bring him back, there was a last resort to try.

She slapped him hard across the face.

Joan gasped and John snatched her wrists before she could strike him again. Martha latched onto her forearms in an attempt to pull him away from John as she drew her close to scold and yell at her. It looked like a terribly awkward three-way waltz between people who all hated each other.

"How dare you! You and Martha are dismissed immediately and are to leave the premises of this school! Good night!" He shouted as Valarie finally twisted her wrists free and raised them straight upwards as he herded her and Martha out of the room."

"We need to get to the TARDIS. Maybe it is in his coat that's still in there." Martha suggested. Valarie nodded and the two were off again. They entered outside and rounded a corner, Martha knocking into Timothy who froze. He gazed upon her in confusion. When Valarie's body collided with his he tumbled downward. He reached forward and grabbed onto to her, landing at a awkward kneeling stance as he fought to not land on his ass. Valarie struggled with him in confusion as he looked upon her with wide, brown eyes. He looked like he had seen a ghost.

Unaware to her, he was seeing the opposite.

One second she was before him, grabbing his arms in her white frilled nightgown with a lace collar and a little tied ribbon on the front. Her brown hair was down and loose, blowing in the night wind and she wore servants shoes.

The next, the cobblestone school behind her had vanished into tall lurching steel buildings, with strange looking cars zipping by behind them. Her hair was still down, yet more tamed. She wore a large, long sleeve shirt that he was unaware was called a sweatshirt. It had a embroidered stitching in the middle of the breast of flowers. It was tucked into blue pants with a brown belt, something else Timothy was also unfamiliar with; jeans. More explicitly mom jeans, but Timothy had not even grappled what denim was yet. She had a bracelet made of gold on her wrist.

While he recognized her eyes and her voice calling to him, she looked impossibly foreign. Almost futuristic.

In a second he was back. Looking to her as she really was in that moment. He hooked a arm over her shoulder as she wrapped two around his waist and drug him to standing position.

"Are you alright?" She asked. He stumbled on his words. She looked ahead and saw Martha gone. In that second she made her mind up. There was a village dance that night she was aware of, and she was also aware that John and Joan were to attend it together. While Martha went to find the watch, she would watch over him. That was the choice she made.

--

Valarie had seated Timothy who was unusually jumpy towards a back wall. She felt guilty seeing John. Felt guilty for seeing his right cheek red from where she had struck him. But she was sure if the Doctor was in there, dormant and silently watching the world through John's eyes, he wasn't mad. He was probably happy she got John to shut up.

Her and Timothy received glances, as a student and under-dressed servant would. But it didn't matter. She kept Timothy's glass of water full, and stood behind his chair with a hand resting on the back of the chair. She stayed close with him. He seemed so jump and she could not place a finger on why. He kept glancing to the window and back down at the glass in his hand. He seemed as on edge as her.

Martha entered the dance, obviously distressed. Valarie watched as she took a seat across Joan who waited on a glass of champagne John had promised her. Valarie could not hear the words exchanged but could see the tension and stress. When John returned he looked beyond annoyed. Martha rose to her feet, obviously begging with him. She fished in her pockets and pulled the sonic screwdriver free and stuck it in his face. He gazed upon it with confusion; not the confusion of being unfamiliar with what it was, but the confusion of how she seemingly pulled something from his dreams and was presenting it to him.

Mr.Clark entered the room followed by Jeremy, Jenny, and a scarecrow. He shoved a coat rack to the ground.

"There will be silence! All of you!" He yelled out into the room. Timothy stood, Valarie pulling the boy to her body without a second thought. In each of their hands they held the off looking guns Jenny had fired at them only half an hour earlier.

"Mr.Clark, what is going on?" A professor rose and asked. Clark turned to him and without warning shot him; he disintegrated with a shriek. People began to scream and try to scramble. Valarie wrapped both arms around Timothy now with almost motherly instinct, trying to avoid Jenny's eye as she knew Jenny knew to some degree who she was.

"Now," Jeremy began, "we have a few questions for Mr.Smith."

"No, better then that." A little girl announced a she joined their side. "He is the Doctor." The whole family was complete now. Father, mother, son and daughter stood together, wearing people who were most likely long gone. "I heard them talking."

"You took human form." Jeremy cooed.

"Of course I am human! I was born human just like you Jeremy, and Jenny, and Mr.Clark! What is going on?"

"Oh, and a human brain too. Simple, thick, and dull." Jeremy added the insult on.

"He is no good like this." The mother who wore Jenny grumbled.

"We need the time lord." Clark added on. Jeremy stepped forward, raising the gun to John.

"Change back." He instructed. When John mumbled in fright and confusion he repeated the command, only yelling it this time. John continued his ramble of how confused he was. In agitation, Jenny grabbed Martha. She held the gun to her head.

"Doesn't this scare you enough to change back?" Jenny yelled at him. "Wait a minute, the maids" Her eyes settled on Valarie across the room as if she was aware of her the entire time. Her grip on Timothy tightened. While none approached her closely, Clark stepped forward and now aimed his gun at her and Timothy. "told me about Smith and the matron."

Clark removed his aim from them to grab Joan, now holding her at gunpoint.

"Has your time as a human taught you anything Doctor? Have you become richer, wiser, happier? Well, let's see if you know the answer to something." His eyes fell to Martha and then rolled to Joan.

"Which one of us do you want us to kill? Your lover or your friend?"

----

ugh im so happy to be back into the grove of writing. may have a small list of little headcanons for Valarie :) little things like her favorite music, foods, etc.

Have a great day!