11.29 Banana Pancakes

I woke up and you weren't there. I reached across our sheets but your warmth was long gone and it was just me, the pillow, and the cat left curled up in your space.

I propped myself up and squinted at the clock. It was barely past 6 but you were already gone.

Maybe I should go back to sleep. Maybe you had some errands to run. It was too early to be playing Clue and Maisey agreed with me. She padded up to your side of the bed and stretched out, finally settling into the crook of my elbow and side, purring.

I curled around her too and closed my eyes but curse you for leaving the blinds open a smidgen that the sunlight crept in and kept me from fully going back to sleep.

I stayed in a half slumber, my mind wandering and reminiscing.

The smell of old pages as we studied in the library. Little dust motes swirling in the air and the easy silence within those hallowed halls. You looking over your stack of reference books and sticky notes to see if I was looking at you. Me pretending to focus on my class notes instead of giving you every ounce of my attention.

I smirk at you and you flush and I look down thinking how adorably stupid you are.

The next time I look up we're in the mall and you're smiling at me, offering me a bite of your crepe. Bright fluorescent lights and the soft ambient atmosphere. People walking around us in groups and pairs and families and your hand finds its way to mine and gives me a quick squeeze before anyone sees.

I reach out to hold your hand for a little longer and we're at a carnival. The night is setting and the string lights across the sky look like stars and feel like suns. We're pushed so close together by the bustling crowd that no one notices our hands interlaced and the warm looks we're sharing. Cotton candy and kettle corn and deep fried snacks permeate the air.

I laugh and we're laughing at our favorite coffee shop, our feet playing a little game under the table and our lattes cold but our smiles making up for it. The baristas give us doting glances and slide us scones when their manager isn't looking. I doodle in my journal and you scribble in your notebook and every now and then we glance up at each other and dissolve into giggling messes. Ground coffee beans and sweets making up for the fresh air we're missing outside.

I sat up in bed and sniffed at the air. I smelled coffee.

I detached myself from Maisey and wrapped myself in our comforter and slowly padded my way to the kitchen. I followed the smell of fresh brewing coffee and its gentle drip drip drip. Down our hallway to find you in your gray green apron and a smudge of flour across your nose.

Who even gets flour on their nose?

What a nerd. My nerd.

I settled down at the dining table and blinked a few times before saying anything, but I know you noticed me. You gave me a wink and continued to make a mess before my eyes. Bowls and whisks and pans piled up in the sink.

I placed my chin in my hands and watched you work. You flipped something in the pan and feigned dropping whatever it was and I laughed. You smiled at me.

You slid a coffee cup to me. Two spoonfuls of honey and a hefty amount of creamer. I breathed it in.

You fell into the seat across from me and gave me a crooked grin before you placed a heaping stack of banana pancakes and two forks in front of me.

I love you, I looked from the tottering tower of flapjacks to you and you shrugged.

I love you too, as you poured thick maple syrup across the golden brown pancakes. It dribbled down the sides and pooled at their base.

I cut off a triangle and fed it to you and you batted your eyelashes and opened and closed your mouth as if it were piping hot. I shook my head at you and you offered me a bite but I turned my nose up at it.

You gasped and tried to grab the plate away but I caved and opened my mouth for a taste.

You popped a fluffy piece into my mouth and I chewed with my eyes closed.

Bliss.