Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Everyone woke up around the same time, which was earlier than we'd probably would've liked after going to bed so late. We woke up around 8:30 in the morning, and while Grace and gran made breakfast the men went downstairs to see if there was any luck opening the door. I, on the other hand, was busy watching the kiddos.

"Jessie, can we please watch Mickey Mouse's Christmas movie? Please!" Daniel started this, but Haley joined in really quick with bouncing up and down until I finally put the movie in. I grabbed a coloring book and crayons and started coloring while they sat and watched the movie.

A few minutes into coloring, the door opened, revealing all three men. Derek didn't look too happy, so I'm guessing that luck was not on his side. Ben and grandpa went to the kitchen, and Derek came to sit with me and the kids.

I didn't say anything, not knowing how upset he was and not wanting to make it worse. So I just continued coloring until we were called to breakfast.

"You can help us decorate the café downstairs if you'd like? We make it a whole thing. We decorate the Christmas tree, then hang lights everywhere, and put up little decorations anywhere. Then, we make gingerbread houses, and decorate them. All while listening to Christmas music. So what do you say? Wanna join?" I asked, grinning from how excited I am.

Everyone else agreed, thinking it's a great idea, but he didn't really seem to think so. "I think I'll pass. I'll come watch, but I'm not really a Christmas fan."

Gran frowned, "Not a Christmas fan? Everyone around here is a Christmas lover."

"Sorry, ma'am. I'm not, I haven't been for a long while. Plus, I'm new to town, so maybe that's why it shocks you." Derek shrugged and continued eating breakfast.

Everyone left that conversation at that and continued on.

***

An hour later, we were all downstairs and had just gotten all of the decorations put together. Once grandpa started the fireplace going, he and Ben started working on the Christmas lights. Daniel, Haley, Grace and I were hanging ornaments on the tree and gran had started baking fresh gingerbread, and getting the icing and candy ready at each table. Derek was kind of just off to the side, watching us.

He stayed off to the side for a couple of hours, but I guess he decided it all looked fun.

"Mind if I help?" He asked, quietly.

"Not at all. Jump on in, and grab any ornament you'd like!" I smiled at him and continued putting ornaments on.

Derek finally seemed to have relaxed now, which was great.

Everyone decorated for a few more hours before we finally finished. It was time for the gingerbread houses!

"It looks so amazing in here! Thank you all! Now, who's ready to make gingerbread houses?" Gran grinned as she brought out a couple of trays with gingerbread house pieces in them. I carefully ran around her to go get the others and we set out a full houses' worth on each workstation.

Daniel and Haley were excited, they jumped up and down and squealed. We had put theirs with Ben and Grace's place so they could help them, so they grabbed each of their hands and ran over to it.