vii. Have You Seen This Boy?

as the group walked in, the two were filled with flashbacks. excluding tim, they'd not been back since the shooting. tim stopped and let them get ahead. "i'm gonna go get some more quarters, guys."

the remaining two ran towards a game they both liked and put in some money. "i'm gonna kick your ass, connor," (y/n) grinned, her mood improving, and placed her hands on the buttons. she glanced at john and noticed his hair behind his ear.

"in your dreams, smokes." they started the game a few times. it ended up being 2 to 3 leaning (y/n)'s way. they laughed about it, (y/n) teasing him about it for a bit, but then moving on to a new one.

they were taking turns on a plane fighter game, and it was johns turn. she stood leaning on a nearby game, smiling at his intense concentration.

"john." tim came running around the corner. "there's some cop scoping for you, man, check it out." john glanced at her and then peeked over tim's shoulder at the cop holding a picture of john and showing it to a group of kids. one of the kids pointed towards the group.

"let's split man, just go." tim told john and turned and ran in another direction.

(y/n)'s eyes widened behind her dark lenses and she looked at john. "oh shit."

"go, (y/n). they're after me, not you." john stood and ran past her towards an exit. bullshit, she thought.

(y/n) just sighed and followed john. he figured she would, but it was worth a shot. they ran down a long hallway, the cop on their tail. they passed an employee, shoved past him, and burst through another set of doors.

they ran as fast as they could, only to be met by a large man holding a box of roses. he opened the box, and pulled out a gun. "what the fuck?" (y/n) muttered to herself.

(y/n) darted her eyes around, then dragged john through another hallway. she tugged at a high voltage door, locked. (y/n) could get in, sure, but not without john.

"hey!" the employee had caught up with them. (y/n) stayed facing the big guy, and john whipped around, and started hitting her arm. she turned around too, and the cop was there, with a gun also.

"get down." they did as the big guy said and he shot at the cop. john let out a scream. she glanced at him to make sure he was alright, and then began fumbling for a cigarette.

"not the time!" john locked eyes with her, and pulled her hands out of her pockets.

they looked at the cop, who had a gaping whole of gray on his chest. the big guy grabbed them both and shielded them from the cop's bullets. he didn't seem to be affected by them.

the cop kept firing, both of them screaming. what the hell is happening? the guy who was holding them slammed his fist against the high voltage door and shoved them inside.

gunshots continued outside, the only thing they had at the moment was each other. she looked at john the best she could in the darkness, and hugged him.

"i'm sorry, smokes." he said, softly threading his fingers through her (h/l) (h/c) hair. "this is my fault." he sighed, dropping his hand to her shoulder, and leaning his forehead against hers.

"don't get sappy on me now, johnny." she leaned back from their hug and smiled. "it's not your fault." she pulled him towards the doorway, so they could see what's going on.

the big guy was currently shooting the cop repeatedly, and then they proceeded to slam each other into the drywall. they watched as the two went through the drywall, into another part of the mall. they took this as an opportunity to get away.

they ran down a few flights of stairs, hoping they were going fast enough. they ran down to where their bikes are parked.

"let's just take one, alright? stick together." john said in between attempts of getting his bike to start. (y/n) nodded and sat behind him. "come on!"

the cop burst through the door, and john's bike hasn't started. "come on!" he screamed again, and it seemed to work, because the bike was now speeding across the pavement. she held on to john, silently cursing at having to leave her bike there.

the cop began to run. he was running impossibly fast, right on their tail immediately. john kept his head forwards, focusing on where he was going. (y/n) glanced back at him every 10 seconds.

john turned his head back to the so-called cop, and when he looked back, he swerved the bike off the pavement and fell about 2 feet onto the road. (y/n) wasn't really expecting that, but she recovered quickly.

the cop was just as fast, he jumped off and continued his pursuit. john weaved right in front of a large tractor-trailer, almost causing that driver to wreck. by the way that tractor-trailer started driving straight towards them, hitting cars on its way, she took the wild guess that the cop was now in it.

they continued to weave through cars, probably causing a wreck here and there, and (y/n) was still looking back at the tractor-trailer.

they went up a path, one that went up above the road a bit, and stopped after a while. suddenly, when both (y/n) and john were looking the way the came, the tractor-trailer arrived on a bridge above them, falling down to their level.

they watched in awe and panic, but then john revved up the bike again, and was speeding away from the cop. the wrecked tractor-trailer didn't seem to stop him from being extremely fast. the chase was close yet again.

they drove as fast as the bike would go, weaving through water and switching sides a few times. they cut down another section, and this caused the tractor-trailer to lose control a bit. it bounced against each wall, like a game of ping pong.

a few gunshots were heard, but she didn't know where it was coming from. they continued to drive, just wishing this would all be over. nothing good ever comes of that mall.

they drove under a bridge, the top of the trailer was pretty much cut off. they both turned to see if the cop made it through that, and by his head popping back up and him regaining control, she'd come to the conclusion that he had.

the trailer began swerving for no reason, but then the big guy from earlier weaved beside it and next to john and her. he picked up john and put him in front of him on his own bike.

john's eyes widened and was waiting for him to pick (y/n) up too, but he didn't. "hey! what about-"

"oh shit." (y/n) was left to fend for herself. she did the only rational thing she could think of, she let herself get next to the trailer and then climbed the side of it. john's bike crunched under the trailer's wheels.

the cop struggled to follow john and the big guy now that (y/n) accompanied him in the tractor trailer. she attempted to stab him with her blades, but he only blocked her with blades of his own. the trailer smashed against a bridge like overhang and the gas began to spill. that's when she knew she was going to die.

john sat on the front of the strange man's bike, keeping his eyes on where (y/n) was. "we gotta go get her, man! i can't just let her die!" he turned around the best he could to look at the guy. "you don't understand-"

he watched as the trailer, and (y/n), exploded.

~

word count: 1333