i. Personal Savior

the girl's feet padded against the sidewalk. she didn't really know where she was going, but she was sick. she was sick of everything. she just needed some air.

she stopped at the one place she always ended up. his house. she reached into her pocket, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. she'd come to terms with her feelings for him only recently. john was her best friend, yeah, but she couldn't help the way her cheeks flushed when he looked at her a certain way.

she didn't even bother knocking on his foster parents' door. he wasn't going to be in there anyway. she entered his garage to be immediately greeted by (f/s) {favorite song} playing loudly from john's radio. he was seated on the floor. his hands were toying with his motorcycle; his hair rested behind his ear so he could see what he was doing.

"(y/n)!" he grinned after noticing her presence. his hands left his bike, reaching to turn the music down. "whatcha doin' here, smokes?" she laughed softly at the nickname, glancing down at the cigarette she sported.

"same as always. how's the bike coming along?" she attempted at a grin, despite the cig almost falling to the ground. she tried, and failed, at a smoke ring. john frowned.

"parents, huh? what good do they do anyways?" ignoring her question, he snatched the cigarette from her lips and took a drag.

she had no response for him, so she resorted to taking in his appearance. his hair was brown and now fell from behind his ear. his eyes were a hazel that gained a glint at the excitement of anything illegal. his lips spread into their natural grin, her cigarette placed between them. that stupidly adorable, shit-eating grin. "what's it with you and these cigarettes? they'll kill you, y'know." he threw it on the ground and stepped on it.

john studied her for a minute and suddenly blurted, "how 'bout we go to the mall? i'm bored, and i dunno.. we could play some games."

"sure." she grinned again, this time a genuine one. "let's go to the mall."

~

word count: 361