Chapter 3 ❁ A half giant, A few Slytherins and a Prophecy

Start from the beginning

"Yeh. I'd understand that. Come in! Come in! Sorry I suppose' it'll be cold out there." He motioned for me to come inside so I did and immediately sat down on his lumpy couch.

"So I guess you'll be a big bad dark witch now huh?" Hagrid joked.

"Hagrid! It's not funny!" though I smiled in spite of myself.

"Never been friends with a Slytherin before! I guess they do say there'll be a firs' time for everythin'!"

I whacked him softly on his arm and laughed as he handed me a cup of scalding hot tea. Which I gulped down happily. Tea was the one thing Hagrid could make well, everything else turned out burnt to the point of rockiness.

"So -er- you'll be wantin' to know somethin' or other 'bout somethin' now won't you?" Hagrid said. I almost always came down here with piles of unanswered questions and Hagrid would always answer the ones he could.

"Yeah actually. Dumbledore was telling me about some kind of prophecy the night of the sorting. It seemed as if he didn't finish telling me and I'm getting worried," I told him.

"Don' worry too much," Hagrid said, though he seemed quite nervous himself. "I'm sure Professor Dumbledore would tell you if there was somethin' to be fretting 'bout."

I nodded and took another pull of tea.

"But le's talk 'bout you bein' placed in Slytherin. Whole load-a folks go bad there. I don' think you'll be goin' bad though. Too much kindness in ya!" Hagrid chuckled.

"Hagrid I'm worried. Not about the prophecy anymore," I added when he gave me a sideways glance. "I'm worried about not making friends. It usually takes a while to make them each year but this year nobody has even made an effort to smile at me or wave me over so I could sit by them. It sucks."

"Do ya really wanna be friends with a load o' scheming piles o' dung like the Slytherins? 'Specially that Malfoy boy. He's bad news jus' stay away from him."

I nodded though I wasn't sure how easy it would be to stay away from him.

When the time came for me to go back to the castle for dinner I'd figured absolutely nothing out and was having trouble thinking straight. Hagrid's broken English made my brain go haywire and my own words get mixed up. Though my lack of friends would make it easy for me to stay silent.

"Hey! Evangeline!" someone called when I walked into the great hall.

I looked around to find the speaker and saw a Slytherin girl waving to me. I pointed at myself, silently asking her if she was talking to me. She nodded and I walked slowly over to her.

"Would you like to sit with us today?" she asked gesturing to her group of friends. Pansy was one of the girls sitting next to her and she gave me a cruel glance.

"Sure," I replied. I was numb with a million emotions I couldn't quite decipher.

"I'm Daphne. This is Pansy and Millicent!" she said brightly.

I smiled at Millicent and gave Pansy a look that couldn't be considered rude or kind.

"Sorry we haven't asked you to sit with us before! We figured you'd have tons of friends from other houses to sit with," Daphne told me.

"It's fine. Thanks for inviting me today," I smiled. There was a spark of joy deep in my stomach that I wished would stay forever.

We ate together and I realized that Pansy and Daphne were the two girls in my dorm room with me.

"How could I have missed that?" I exclaimed.

"You go to sleep so early! I guess you've just never been awake while we're in there too!" Daphne laughed. She was teasing me nicely. Nicely. I found that for the most part Millicent and Daphne were kind to me. Pansy mostly stayed silent but I already knew she was the bitch of the group so I didn't need her annoyingly high pitched voice reminding me.

"Blaise is so cute!" Daphne squealed to Millicent and I after our conversation about the cutest teachers at school ended.

I smiled to myself as I thought about Draco's face when I'd said I fancied Blaise more than him.

"I think Nott is the cutest! He's so dreamy," Millicent replied in a swooning voice.

"How about you Eve? Is it okay if I call you that? Eve? Who do you think is the cutest?" Daphne asked. I told her she could call me whatever she wanted to and then moved on to say I thought they were all perfectly fine. My mind couldn't stop seeing Draco's face however.

"Oh come on! There's got to be someone you think is hot!" Millicent pressured.

I rolled my eyes and giggled. "Yeah okay. I think-," just then Draco walked past and I couldn't say his name. "I agree with Daphne. Blaise is the cutest of them all."

Draco gave me a furious glance and walked a little faster toward the door that would lead him out of the great hall.

After dinner I walked out into the corridor and was yanked into an empty classroom.

"Geez, it took you long enough didn't it!" a velvety voice that sounded very annoyed said from the somewhere in the dark.

"Lumos," I spoke and when my wand brought light to the room I saw that Draco Malfoy was standing all the way across the classroom with his arms crossed over his chest.

"You've got to stop dragging me into random bathrooms or classrooms or whatever. I have places to be you know," I said coldly.

"Hey. I waited for a long time for you to fucking finish your fucking dinner and walk towards me. I almost got caught by like ten professors," he told me.

"Well that's your problem isn't it," I pointed out, trying to walk to the door again.

"Not so fast Grey," Draco said grabbing my wrist.

"Get off me!" I snarled pulling away. "Why did you need to see me so damn badly anyway?"

"Because you keep saying things that make me angry Grey," he said smoothly. He came closer to me and traced his finger along my jawline.

"Okay I don't know what your problem is but you need to figure it out. I'm not a rag-doll Draco and I refuse to be treated like one. You've never talked to me before this year. You've never showed any interest in me but suddenly, three days into our sixth year, you decide you just can't stand to have me talking about your friends like I like them better than I like you! Do you need everyone's constant affection or are you just trying to torture me specifically?" I whisper yelled.

"I'm not trying to torture anyone. Just trying to make you see what you're missing Grey," his cool voice drove me insane.

"Obviously I'm not missing much considering you wouldn't take me even if I wanted you to!" I retorted.

"Now who told you that little rag-doll?" Draco teased.

I made a low noise in the back of my throat and turned on my heel, leaving him in the dark classroom.