37: Saved

Zhan was lost in thoughts as he followed a usual path to a familiar office in that massive Wang Headquarters.

He was barely containing his emotions to even decipher the need to knock on its door and ask permission to enter. But the man inside the base made no notion of protest, only watching with worried eyes the downcasted figure of a once bubbly person entering his territory.

"Father..." Zhan lifted his eyes to meet Mr. Xiao's sympathetic gaze. One look and all of Zhan's remaining restrained emotions outpoured in an instant. He sobbed like a kid, body trembling, tears drenching his cheeks, while low feeble sounds break the solemn silence.

Without second thoughts, Mr. Xiao dashed to his son's side, pulling him into a consoling embrace, patting the broad back that was once a teeny-tiny fragile rear of a small child.

"Father, what should I do? I might have hurt him without me knowing. I thought I was the only one hurting. I abandoned him! I wasn't there when he needed me the most! How could I face him and ask for his forgiveness once he wakes up? I feel so ashamed saying I love him, when I did not even realize he was suffering." Zhan freely whimpered in an overwhelming grief.

Mr. Xiao held him tightly in his embrace. Letting Zhan let go all those repressed emotions of guilt, sadness, self-blame, and hopelessness he had been trying to contain in the last couple of weeks.

His fatherly heart cries with his son.

"He will not blame you, son. Neither will he hate you. Bobo, loves you the most."

Bobo. That endearing word.

Zhan's heart felt lighter and he can't help but release a snort and half-heartedly laugh hearing the petname his parents' have given to his precious Bo-di. He started wiping his tears and beamed to his father, cracking another small laugh when he saw his father's tears.

"Such a drama Dad!" He joked, earning him a ruffle on his tousled hair.

"Like the saying goes: like father, like son." Mr. Xiao smiled back at him. He is a proud father, watching how his little silly boy grew up to be a handsome and responsible man with a pure heart.

But as Mr. Xiao stared at his son, worry lines carved his forehead as he studied the look of exhaustion on the young man's face.

"You've worked hard and enough, son. I am proud of you." Mr. Xiao declared out-of-nowhere, catching Zhan off guard.

Unknown to him, despite his' and Hao Xuan's effort to hide Yibo's revenge scheme and its outcome, Mr. Xiao knows exactly what they were upto. He even knew how they have strived to earn back what Yibo has lost, only to face a dead-end in their pursuit.

Handing Zhan a folder, Mr. Xiao expressed, "Let me handle it from here. You don't need to worry about the Wang Empire for now."

Confused, Zhan skimmed through the papers, eyes shooting back up to gape at his father, who is now bearing a proud grin.

"And you should be proud of me." Mr. Xiao exclaimed, puffing his chest in pride. Zhan shot his arms up and wide to give his father a tight hug. "Thanks Father! You're our savior!"

Indeed, Mr. Xiao is their savior. The man who worked behind the scenes from the beginning.

From the time of his good friend, Mr. Shu Wang's death, to the time Yibo was appointed to lead the Wang Empire, to the days of Yibo and Hao Xuan's clandestine transactions, Mr. Xiao was the all-knowing-eye, silently observing and counteracting the drastic vengeance measures the young Wang was making, which could lead into something he would regret.

Without being asked for his help, Mr. Xiao surreptitiously made deals with those business men who'd bought Yibo's share, offering them better business deals and partnerships, so he could persuade them to sell those stocks back to him.

The file he had just shown Zhan? It was a file which states 60% share of the Wang Empire is now owned by the Xiao's.

In fact, it was an affidavit stating Xiao Zhan as the owner of that 60% share and he can do anything he wants to do with it. Whether give 40% back to Yibo, or give all his 60% share to the man he loves.

"What are you still doing here?" Mr. Xiao released himself from Zhan's choking embrace. "Bobo must've been bored hearing your mom's high-pitched blabber. His eardrums might have been bleeding by now!" He teased, knowing Mrs. Xiao's ways of motivating Yibo to wake up is by talking to the poor boy non-stop.

"What about the board meeting?" Zhan quirked an eyebrow.

"Let this old man do the job. We'll talk about your plans about the shares once Yibo wakes up, alright? Now you go home son and take care of my future son-in-law."

'Sweet yet shameless!' Zhan mentally remarked letting the crimson hue give colour to his pallid face.

Feeling overly blessed of having Mr. and Mrs. Xiao as his parents in this lifetime, a soul-stirring smile starts to creep back up Zhan's face.

And for now, it's time for him to focus on one person that matters the most...

his Yibo.

---------
29-Nov-2020