30: Lifeless

With the good feedbacks he is hearing here and there, Haikuan thought his little brother is doing well in his new line of work. That is, until he made a random visit to Yibo's head office and saw the zombie his brother has become.

He looked around attentively and instantly realized what might have been missing and had caused his brother's situation. "Where is Zhan?" He curiously asked seeing Zhan's name plaque on a vacant table opposite his brother's space. It was meticulously spotless and organized, ready to be used whenever, but seemed to be unclaimed by its rightful owner.

Hao Xuan coughed loudly at the side catching Haikuan's attention, criss-crossing his arms to stop the older Wang from mentioning Zhan's name again.

It has been two months since Zhan moved to Talu's company and the partnership seemed to have outmost benefited both parties, that earlier that tedious week, the media has confirmed and broadcasted to the world about Wang Talu's and Xiao's company collaboration. The deal of the century, as what they've called it. Their connection from their university days also came into the spotlight, so speculations of romance blooming between the two bachelors are going haywire.

Even the playful Hao Xuan wouldn't dare mention a word about the two. Because when the news broke, he had seen how Yibo turned into a walking doll who only blinks and silently breaths. Even if he is physically there, the man seemed to had gone into an unreachable hole. He still does his role as the team leader, but aside from that, he seemed to be completely disconnected from the world.

"I understand." Haikuan nodded at Hao Xuan, a small frown adorned his face as he scanned his brother's condition once more.

'Lifeless.' He sighed. "I don't know why you're doing this Yibo, but I can see clearly that it isn't turning out well."

Haikuan wasn't entirely ignorant of Yibo's activities. Thanks to his coworkers admiring their so-called perfect Cold Prince squealing scoops about him on a day-to-day basis, the news papers and magazines displaying his face in every single issue, and the massive LCDs showing Yibo's countless commercials and product endorsements all around China.

Indeed, the world knows who Wang Yibo is. The actor, singer, dancer, product ambassador, host and now also the renowned Wang Empire's heir and CEO, but noone really understands his purpose or why he is working like mad as it is.

The clue might be partly connected after Zhan left because it was the same time when Yibo came back to the limelight.

The entertainment world had surprisingly welcomed him back warmly. In fact, when the world knew of his return, offers rained down for him, making him the most sought after matinee idol. Yibo did not refuse a single one of their offers which was supported by his management, filling up his schedule without a single day of break. The lad doesn't even have enough time eat, least be time to rest, but it was Yibo who had pushed  himself to work like a tireless machine.

One would wonder how the busy man could even squeeze being a CEO in his hectic schedule. Being a public figure is one, but being a head of a huge company is of another level.

Yibo still shows up at the Wang Empire Headquarters once or twice a week or through virtual communication when he is out of town. But he can ease out a bit now. He has Hao Xuan to watch over the company while he is away, making sure nothing will hinder their plans. Yibo's dedication to the company has already produced the results they are aiming, earning him the trust of the board of directors. The duo had almost completed their hidden dealings, and now, they're just counting out the few remaining weeks until the truce with the board finishes, and they will give their full support to Wang Yibo to lead the company.

But what is it really that he is aiming for?

Revenge.

Vengeance has consumed all of him, leaving him blind of what truly matters in this world.

And he knew well that it comes with a price.

His everything.

His life.

For the first time that moment, Yibo stopped what he was doing and lifted his gaze to meet his brother's all-knowing stare.

"I'm busy brother. If you've got no business here, can you please not disturb me?" Yibo flatly said.

Haikuan saw the dullness in his brother's eyes. Those same eyes, empty and hollow. It is as if he was brought to the past, when he cannot do anything to console the soulless boy Yibo had become after their father told them that their mother had died. Haikuan's heart instantly ached and he gave his brother a tender smile in return of his cold stare.

"The new occupants will be moving tomorrow. They found a hidden vault in the Master's bedroom. Can you come with me to check it?" He simply requested. He wanted to go back to their family mansion with his little brother for the last time. Say Goodbye to the bitter memories, and hope for new beginnings.

But destiny has some surprise awaiting for them. The world is sometimes unfairly cruel and hard on those with a pure heart, and the Wang brothers are no exception to fate's trial.

—————
16-Oct-2020

A/N: The next chapters would be heartfelt. A bit of crying maybe? Or maybe loads of crying?
This is just an intro to what is to come next!
The end is near! Stay tuned!