26: The Fifth Stranger

Zhan went to the club to free his mind from further understanding what Yibo doesn't want him to understand. Ji Li and Ziyi came after a while and the drinks came flowing in unlimited supply.

"What goes in here, stays in here. You don't need to hold back!" Ji Li yelled against the loud music, raising his glass for a random salute with the mass of people gathered inside the club. Zhan swiftly moved his gaze around, scrutinizing through the crowd which only comprised of high profile socialites. "Renowned actors, business tycoons, rich heirs, you name it! This club is exclusive, so you don't need to worry about anything behind its doors!"Ji Li proudly praised gulping his third shot of whiskey. Zhan can only shake his head with a smile seeing his subordinate in a hyped-up state.

Ziyi leaned her chin on Zhan's shoulder, patting her friend's back for comfort. "You old man. You're here to enjoy, right? So stop thinking too much and just enjoy!" She suddenly pulled Zhan to the dance floor and the trio started dancing to the beat of the music.

It wasn't long 'til both Ziyi and Ji Li found their pair and got engaged into a passionate dancing spree. Whereas Zhan slowly inched his way back to their table and slump to the chair and console his broken heart.

How he wanted to laugh at his feeble state. His pointless desperation for Yibo's affection. His fruitless persistence! Oh how he wanted to curse Wei Ying and blame him for his wrecked heart.

"Fate my ass!" He smiled grimly finally understanding what he should have acknowledged a long time ago. "It's meaningless, Wei Ying. The strand of fate is too frail. He doesn't recognize me as his soulmate. In this lifetime, I cannot have him." He mumbled as a tear escaped from his eyes.

In the eyes of the crowd, this lonesome attractive guy spending time alone in one corner is such a waste. Despite Zhan's stand-offish and frosty aura of do-not-disturb-me, interested and assertive ones still gave a shot to approach him.

"Mind if I join you?" a deep voice asked but Zhan was too withdrawn and preoccupied to entertain the fifth stranger who tried to invade his private space in the last half an hour.

"Nah. My friends will be here soon. There's only space for three people in this table." He deadpanned, drinking his third bottle of whisky. His rosy cheeks, slurring speech and half lidded eyes denote his drunkenness but he still got his senses intact at the moment to drive away the pests.

Quite annoyingly, the man chuckled. "You can at least pretend to be torn instead of immediately declining my offer."

His brave comeback made Zhan curious and snap his gaze towards him.

"Talu?!" Zhan blurted out in disbelief instantly recognising the tall, dark and handsome man. "Wang Talu!" He repeated making the familiar man grin widely at him.

"It's been years Zhan-Zhan, yet you haven't change at all! Still out of my league, I guess?" He teased extending his hand which Zhan eagerly took. Before Zhan knew it, he got pulled into a one-arm hug and their shoulder brushed and chest collided, too much for a normal greeting.

"Still quite touchy, I see?" Zhan teased back pulling away with an awkward laugh.

In the end, the said stranger was welcomed to stay in Zhan's den. This beautiful, idealized man, Talu, is implausably attractive both in looks and character. It only took a few exchange of words 'til the two found comfort in each other's presence and got engaged into a conversation reliving their past.

Ji Li curiously sneaked closer to eavesdrop while Ziyi spied in the distance watching the close interaction between the long lost confreré.

"Life can change in a blink of an eye. We might have met again for a purpose." Talu seriously spat eyeing Zhan with the same twinkle in his eyes as when they we're in their college years. "Maybe I am here to help you forget." Talu added, reading right through the bottle of liquors Zhan was drowning himself into. "Should we try it?" He wheedled, making Zhan choke on his drink.

"Eh?!" Zhan nervously laughed remembering Talu's love confession in the past. 'How could I forget that part?!' He internally facepalmed remembering the finale of their closeness a bit too late now.

-------
Author's Notes:

Short update again! Don't you worry, the next part is on its way (okay will hold back until Wednesday!)
Let's look into Yibo's POV next! (Oops! Spoiler alert!)

3-Oct-2020