31: The Truth Untold

Hai Kuan caught himself staring at the massive white house that used to be their home. He’d never thought a day would come when he would walk the same path, turn through its corners, and gaze at its halls only to see it stark naked from ceiling to its floor like a vacant canvass. 

Yet, its emptiness did not halter Hai Kuan’s mind from reminiscing his childhood, embracing the overwhelming reveries, and remembering that they once are a happy family. Their mother’s laughter filling their home and her tender caresses. Their supportive and dedicated father who smiles rarely but sweetly, especially when holding little Yibo in his arms. His meek, pure and innocent cute little brother who sticks to his side like a gum. 

But none of that now remains. 

What had gone wrong? What happened to that beautiful family?’ He smiled bitterly-sweet, looking at his stone-faced brother who is dragging his feet behind him. 

Are you ready?” Hai Kuan asked trying to break the ice with some unnecessary humour as he set foot on the Master’s bedroom.

Just get it done with.” Yibo unempathetically replied, not in the tiniest bit curious of what is inside their father’s safe.

Hai Kuan sighed, discreetly shaking his head from his brother’s indifference before he came closer to the metal vault and start turning its knob with a familiar number combination given by their father’s lawyer. Their mother’s date of birth.

How ironic.’ Hai Kuan thought but pried no further.

A folder an inch thick greeted their sight, topped with a red jewellery box.

Hai Kuan’s heart was beating so fast blankly staring at the contents of his father’s safe. ‘Why would he use their mother’s birthday as a passcode for this files? Why would that familiar box be there? What is in that folder?’ His postulation about the matter was blowing out of proportion. He suddenly felt nervous and hesitant. 

It was Yibo who took actions and grabbed the red box, opening it callously.

Two rings.” he insouciantly said, tossing the box to Hai Kuan who seemed to be sweating profusely seeing the circular band. Their parents' wedding rings.

Yibo then took the folder and was about to open it when Hai Kuan halted his arm and the file fell from his grip. Mix of photos and papers now covers the white granite floor.

The brothers initially squinted their eyes with furrowed brows gazing at the old photos, until reality hits them and their mind lost track of what is happening. Mainly, what their minds refuse to accept.

Mouth agape and eyes wide, Yibo slowly crouched down and picked up the photos, his mind screaming, ‘Lies!

B-Brother...” his voice broke summoning his brother whose eyes have now clouded and is slumped on his side holding the papers with his shaky hands.

What are they?!” Yibo splattered against the hard lump on his throat, scrunching the photos in his hand. “These aren’t true right? Tell me it isn’t true!” He pleaded.

Yibo...” Hai Kuan sniffled, too lost how to say the words which will definitely break his brother’s fragile heart. 

Impatient, Yibo grabbed hold of the files and scanned through the documents which contain detectives and investigators’ notes regarding their mother...regarding their mother’s affairs with different men, her rough yet feral life after leaving Mr.Wang's side, and her death certificate stating the cause to be illegal drug overuse.

‘6am: Mrs. Wang was seen leaving the hotel with Mr. Han...’

‘Mrs. Wang met up with Mr.Han in a private resort...’

‘Mrs. Wang seen escorting Mr. Feng in a casino...’

'...Mrs. Wang captured by police selling illegal drugs, but was bailed out by a known mafia around the area of Luoyang...'

Yibo smashed the files on the floor in rage. “These aren’t true! They are all fabricated lies! Mother wouldn’t do that! She loves us...” His voice broke, gripping his hair in denial and frustration, trying to get his head together. “It’s father who’ve hurt mother. It’s father’s fault!” He chanted convincing himself of the lie he has believed all these years.

But they both knew the dates and years engraved in each photo says otherwise. Those were the years when their family is still whole. The years when their mother will sing them lullaby and read them books to sleep, kiss them goodnight and say she loves them. Now they knew, behind their backs, while their mother offers them that pretence familial love, she was offering the same kind of love to another man. Worse, to different men.

And all these years, they have hated their father. Blamed him for that day when he shoved his wife out of their house and screamed to her not to ever come back or dare visit her own children.

They’ve loathed Mr. Wang for pushing her away...for keeping her far from them.

But now that the secret and truth has been untold...they have realised that the man indeed loves his children, loved his wife too much that he even took the bad guy role in order to protect her image from her children's eyes.

Sorrow, rile and regret filled the room.

I’m sorry. I’m sorry, father.” Hai Kuan cried, shoulders shaking, as unsightly tears covers his whole face. 

Yibo on the other hand finds himself sinfully guilty with no way to correct his mistakes. His body shook terribly and his chest tightened along with the constriction of his airway making him gasp for breath.

He remembered the night he had an argument with his father. How he raised his voice at him and cursed him that he will take everything he loves and then discard them until nothing is left for them to remember that he ever existed.

Y-Yi-b-bo...” his father’s voice stuttered in pain as Yibo stormed away without looking back at the damage he has caused.

I walked away.” Yibo regretfully narrated in spite against himself, closing his eyes and letting his tears fall remembering that that was the last night he had seen his father. Because after he walked away, his father was found collapsed on the floor and was brought to the hospital, dying a few days afterwards.

---------
Author's Notes:

Raise your hand if I made you cry with this chapter? 🤚
Sorry but the next chapter would be heavier. 🤧

I am quite lazy to express more about Mr. Wang's POV and include it in the chapter. But for CLARIFICATION purposes:
1) he loves his family.
2) He loves his wife despite years of her promiscuity. That's why the vault's passcode is his wife's number.
3) There might be a question in your mind asking are Hai Kuan and Yibo Mr.Wang's real children? Answer: Mr. Wang doesn't care whether they are his real blood, because he loves the two of them no matter what the truth is.
4) Regarding Mr. Wang's mistresses? They are just part of his plan for the brothers to direct the hate towards him instead of their mother.

So yeah...MR. WANG is a NOT the bad one here.

Show me your support by VOTING this chapter please 🙏🙏🙏

Lots of love 💕

19-Oct-2020