Twelve - Crying

Carden

"You want me to do what?" Carden hissed into his phone as he waited to leave fifth hour, anger slowly building up in his body. "Mom, I'm not going to bring Zoë to our house, especially today of all days."

"Carden," Mother's soft British accent answered calmly, "you will bring your girlfriend to our house after school. Besides, I want to get to know her. It will take my mind off things and I have a feeling she'll be able to help you out. You've been a mess the past couple days."

"But mom-"

"End of discussion. I'll see you in a little bit, sweetheart. Love you."

The phone beeped as Mother ended the call and he groaned, shoving his phone into a pocket in his suit jacket carelessly. Of course he cared for Zoë, even if it had been a week, but he didn't want her to see him after school today. The deflated energy inside their home, the endless tears, the flowers that Mother would be holding, Father gently putting his hand on Carden's shoulder, the grave. It was all to much.

"What was that all about?" Cam asked. "Sounded like Mrs. A was pretty serious."

Carden resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "She wants me to bring Zoë to the house but considering what today is," he took a deep breath, "I don't think it's such a good idea."

"Well, it would be good to have some extra support, right?" Cam smiled as he patted Carden's shoulder firmly. "And I think Zoë will be more than willing to help you out. She seems like a really nice girl."

He sighed. "Yeah, I guess."

He pulled out his phone and quickly set her a text, his energy slowly leaving his body as he pressed the blue arrow.

Hey so my mom wants to meet you and wants you come home with me after school. Is that okay with you?

A moment later the three dots appeared.

Ya, totally! I'll just have to be home by 5:30 cause mom wants me home for dinner.

He sent her a thumbs up, grabbing his bag as the loud ringing of the bell rang. The end of the day. Just great. Of course he loved going home, it was his only safe haven from the craziness of his life, but today would be different. The air would sting and the world would feel like it would be resting on Carden's shoulders, more than usual though.

"Hey, be strong," Cam said as they walked outside of the school. "Make Jared proud, alright? I'll text ya later."

Carden waved as Cam climbed into his truck and Zoë and Amber walked towards him, chatting and laughing. Zoë's blonde beach waves had begun to fall out and her pink lip stick had faded but she still looked as beautiful as ever. She looked strong and determined, just like the girl who held him together earlier. Amber hugged her and rushed off to where a black slug bug sat waiting for her.

"Hey." Zoë smiled nervously. "Should I be scared as to why your mom wants to meet me?"

He forced a smile. "Nah. She's pretty chill and I'm sure she'll love you."

"But what if she doesn't? Does she even know we aren't really 'together?'"

Carden put his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to look into his "muddy brown eyes" as she liked to call them. "Zo, she's gonna love you and no, she doesn't. So please, just keep acting for me. After everything's over, you can go home. Okay?"

She nodded. "Alright. For you."

His heart fluttered and he quickly pulled his arms back, realizing how close they had been. Her cheeks were coated in a soft blush as she turned toward the parking lot. "So where's your car?"