Seven - Life Changing

Zoë

"Zo?" Amber called as she climbed the cold metal steps to find Zoë sitting on the bleachers above the football field, head resting on her knees and staring at the metal below her. "Hey, what are you doing out here? It's a bit cold."

It was September so it was pretty warm but even in the shade, it could make you shiver. The small breeze that blew made Zoë shiver and her teeth chatter, but she was willing to risk being cold if it meant she could be out of the attention limelight for just a little bit.

It was exhausting, mentally and emotionally.

Zoë looked up slowly as Amber sat beside her. "No reason."

"You sure about that? You ran out those doors like your clothes were on fire."

She sighed deeply. Amber had been blessed with the stupid ability to know when something was up with Zoë once they had become best friends. It was actually really annoying.

"Fine. I...I just need a break from all the craziness. It's all to much to comprehend right now. I just need a little sliver of peace before I go back to acting like Captain Flirt's girlfriend." She shivered. "I mean, have you seen the looks I've been getting today?! Someone might actually come and murder me."

Amber snorted and took a bit from her turkey sandwich. "I think you're overreacting just a bit." She paused as she stared out over the football field. "But I get it. I don't think I could do what you're doing and having it being sprung on you at the most random moment? That doesn't seem fun. Oh and just so you know, Carden's looking for you."

Zoë glanced down at the track, half expecting Carden to be standing there with his hands on his hips and blazing eyes. "Please tell me he didn't follow you out here."

"No, I snuck away while he and Cam asked if anyone had seen you. He doesn't mean to stress you out, y'know. He's just worried about his own selfish social life like any self centered jerk is. If you want, you can go up to him right now and breakup with him. You can say you don't like him anymore and just like that, you're done acting."

Zoë sighed. "But then that's fueling Chloe's fire. That Barbie Doll will swoop in like some vulture and just take him."

Her best friend smirked. "Is someone jealous?"

"Of course not! It's just...that it's not fair to him."

Amber gently raked her fingers through Zoë's hair as she rested her head against Amber's shoulder. "But it's not fair to you either. If you can't keep doing this, even if it's only been a day, just tell him. I'm sure he'll understand."

Zoë closed her eyes. "I'll do this for a little longer. Just to keep him happy for a bit."

"You're very considerate Zo," Amber said. "Carden's lucky to have you and who knows," she grinned, "maybe he'll fall in love with you for real."

Zoë laughed, the sound echoing out over the emptiness below her. "That would be a story. 'Star quarterback fakes relationship with nerd and ends up falling in love with her for real.' Extra! Extra! 'Queen Bee, Chloe Sorensen, throws a tantrum and rips out all of her hair extensions!'"

Amber snorted. "I'd love to see that!"

"Same."

"So...do you want to go back to the guys now?"

Zoë frowned. "Do we have too? I don't want to yet. This is great. Just me and you, just like old times. Before boys. Before Andy and Cali, no offense to them."

"Zoë!"

She raised her hands defensively. "Sorry! At least I'm not insulting them to their faces."