Twenty-Four - Why?

Carden

No phone calls, no text messages, she didn't even answer the door when he stopped by a couple of times. What was going on with her? Did Alec do something and she couldn't come to him? Was there some setback with her mom? Did he do something?

His thoughts were running ramped as he walked down the street towards her house again.

Did she...?

No, she couldn't have caught him with Cora. He had made sure that she wouldn't and besides, she was probably at the school eating a spicy chicken sandwich and munching on cheez-it's like she normally did at lunch. Sneaking around and spying on him didn't seem like something she would do.

She couldn't have seen him. She just couldn't have.

She was okay, right? Maybe it was just that time of month and she was being very unreasonably upset? He never had to deal with things like this during Junior year. That year was mostly drama free.

The garage to the Flynn's house grumbled open, Zoë stepping out in workout leggings and a tank top. One airpod hung from her left ear and he could make out the quiet hum of "Driver's License" playing from it. She must've not noticed him yet because she was busy typing on her phone.

"Have I told you that you're really beautiful?" He leaned against a wooden fence post when she finally glanced up at him.

Her eyes were lead when their gazes met but she quickly looked away, starting to run down the driveway and onto the sidewalk.

Carden stared after her. "Hey, Zo! What's with the attitude? Did I do something wrong?"

She didn't respond.

He jogged after her from a distance. Something was seriously up with her.

She ran down Main Street, past the High School, past the Starbucks on the boardwalk, and finally coming to a stop at Barrington's park where a blonde with a high ponytail was waiting for her.

The blonde, who was Chloe which surprised him, eyes widened. "What's he doing here?"

Carden held his hands up in surrender. "Hey, I just need to talk to my girlfriend." Zoë made a deep growling noise. "Somethings going on with you. Why aren't you texting me? You're avoiding me like the plague!"

Zoë opened her mouth to say something but Chloe pushed her behind her. She stalked so close to Carden that she poked his chest with her long, golden acrylic nail. "You know exactly what happened. Now, back off and get out of our sight."

"But I don't know what I did!"

"Oh really?!" Zoë crossed her arms across her chest, a strand of hair blowing across her face. "Then what were you doing at Starbucks with Cora and she just happened to have your hoodie?!"

Crap. She did know.

"Zo, I can explain."

"I don't want to hear it."

"But-"

"I don't want to hear your lame reasons for cheating on me."