Chapter 3 - HIDDEN PRECIOUSNESS

J: Welcome to my messy home - Juliana said awkwardly as she opened the apartment door for her new friend.

V: Omg! I think I underestimated the cleaning huh? - Valentina said without disguising the surprise of seeing how much mess could fit in such a small space. - Is there still time for me to go back to see my movie with my little ice cream?

Juliana laughed. As much as it seemed a situation that would cause her discomfort and shyness, she felt more and more at ease around Valentina and no longer had much ceremony with her.

J: Ah, you too had one of the worst days. It isn't always in that state, ok? It's just that yesterday was not the best... If you ignore this clutter of things you will be able to find a very beautiful apartment here, I guarantee.

V: Oh sure, I have no doubt about that. Is very beautiful! And that big window over there? Wow, I would have given anything to have found such a little place for me around here. I'm in this sports world but I have a little foot in architecture, you know? My mom is an architect, so I've always been very involved with these things too.

J: Is it serious? Wow, I looove!! I love everything that involves art, actually - said Juliana as she started to get some things out of the way.

V: Well... so let's start with that, because apparently there's a lot of work ahead, right? And then we can finish in time to enjoy the night in Rio, how about that? - Valentina said while joining Juliana taking some things out of the way.

J: Ah, I'm sorry, Valentina, it's just that I'm not really in the mood to go out... but you can stay here if you want, from the balcony you can see a lot of the night in Rio.

Valentina took a look at the balcony, then turned her eyes to Juliana again and smiled, confirming that she would love to stay there longer.

The afternoon passed so fast that they didn't even realize it was getting dark. They had lunch before starting the cleaning, and arranged everything in perfect harmony, as if they also already had the habit of doing such an activity together. While putting everything in order, Juliana told Valentina more details about her life, and vice versa. The conversation flowed so naturally that they didn't even have to put on any music to hide the silence, because in reality there was no silence.

Juliana told of her old desire to travel the world dancing, perhaps even participating in musicals. But she apparently had to change her plans under the circumstances. But she also loved teaching, and she had a lot of plans and projects for her dance studio.

V: Are you serious?! Omg, give me the address of this studio n-o-w! All I wanted most was to know how to dance well. You don't know how much embarrassment I've been through with all my athlete swings. - excited as always, Valentina sketched a totally awkward wiggle in front of Juliana, proving that it really made sense to enroll in her classes.

Juliana smiled a little silly. She didn't quite know how to react to that resourcefulness.

They talked more and more naturally, sharing past experiences, dreams, fears, personal tastes. If a morning with very little contact had already been enough to connect them that way, an entire afternoon of conversation then... It amounted to years of friendship.

Valentina threw herself on the sofa after the last task completed and took a look around, proving that this apartment was indeed wonderful, It just needed a makeover. Juliana sat down on the side and repeated the gesture, probably sharing the same perception of how beautiful the place was.

Valentina took responsibility for the last object to be put back in place. It was a picture frame with a photo of Juliana and her friend-sister Fernanda with little Miguel. Perhaps one of the most beautiful pictures she had ever seen. With smiles that transmitted a contagious joy beyond that handmade frame. She hesitated to put it where it appeared to have fallen, and had a few seconds to decide whether to bring it up again with Juliana, to find out more details of what actually happened, or to pretend she hadn't seen the photo and kept the relaxed atmosphere that filled that apartment with good energy that afternoon.

Juliana noticed Valentina's hesitation, and knew what thought had occurred to her at that moment. Deep down she even wanted to talk more and tell all the details of her friend-sister's early departure. But the truth is that it hadn't felt so good and relaxed in a long time, and maybe this was the time to take advantage of the good energy, disconnect a little from the cloudiness that was around her, and let the light in.

V: So, if I can stay here, you could introduce me to your Rio de Janeiro from here on the balcony, right?

J: Of course, yes. With great pleasure... despite so many evils the only thing that still resists in this city is the beauty that only it has.

V: Can I take a shower first? - asked Valentina already taking off her swim school blouse and wearing her neon green top in plain sight, before she even heard any answer.

Juliana hesitated for a few seconds. She realized that her body reacted in the same way that it reacted to Valentina's touch there in Lagoa, which was equally uncomfortable.

J: Sure, sure. I'll get you some clothes, and take the time to prepare some snacks, if you are as hungry as I am...

Valentina agreed and left soon to get ready. She was excited to spend hours on the porch just watching the night in Rio and that little spot lit up there, at Christ the Redeemer, which embraced that city and could be seen from so many places

Since entering that apartment together with Valentina, it seemed that all the problems she had been facing had been left outside. For long hours she managed to reconnect with Juliana, outgoing and full of life, and most importantly, she allowed herself to smile again naturally, without any remorse or embarrassment. The night before it was just her and her loneliness accompanied by wine, in an upturned apartment, and now she had the opportunity to enjoy a bottle of wine in the company of an extraordinary person she had just met and who has already brought so much light into her life.

Juliana let herself be carried away by the good feelings that filled her heart that day, and while waiting for Valentina to return, she turned on the record player that she no longer remembered when she last used it. And while preparing the accompaniments to enjoy a good glass of wine on the balcony - which lately had barely been opened -, without realizing it, she started to sing along with the album one of her favorite songs...

"Tall and tan and young and lovely

The girl from Ipanema goes walking and

When she passes, each one she passes goes..."

Valentina was already out of the bath when she started listening to the music and realizing where it came from. She returned in silence, without allowing Juliana to notice her presence, and stood in the corner of the room watching that woman. She didn't look like the person she ran into earlier in that aquatic center. The one who sang divinely carried an energy completely different from the woman she had met earlier. That was the voice that truly corresponded to what she had seen in those strong, black eyes. Without realizing it, Juliana was allowing Valentina to know its various facets.

And in that moment, as clear as her blue eyes, Valentina realized that she had already known the most incredible place in Rio de Janeiro, and had just found the most beautiful hidden preciousness in the wonderful city.