Chapter Fifteen

Blake Lawson's Point of View

As we drove further from town, my mind kept racing with so many thoughts. Should I tell Sophia what Victoria texted me? How would she react? What would Victoria think of she knew I was with Sophia today?

I tried to shake the questions away by looking out the window. I watched as trees passed by, ten, fifteen, twenty... Why are there so many trees? Where were we going?

"Where are we going?" I said, finally speaking up. I looked over at Sophia and watched her adjust her hands on the steering wheel after pushing her glasses up her nose. 

"A beautiful place." She seemed to be in thought as her eyebrows creased together. "A place I went to when I was little. A good place to clear the mind." She didn't say anymore so I decided to just leave it at that. As I stared out the window, I felt myself getting sleepy. My eyes kept drooping before finally slipping shut.

But no dreams came to me, but that was probably because I was half awake and half asleep. Like a state where I can hear everything around me but I wasn't really comprehending it. And in this half state, I heard a voice. Who's voice, I wasn't really sure. It was a voice singing a beautiful song without any music. But it sounded like an angel. It sounded like some sort of love song... But who was it? Who's voice was that beautiful?

"If I had only felt the warmth within your touch. If I had only seen how you smile when you blush. Or how you curl your lip when you concentrate enough." I couldn't place the voice or the song, but it was beautiful. Was it my mother? She used to sing to me. Was I just having a memory of her?  

"Well, I would have known what I was living for all along. What I've been living for... Your love is my turning page. Where only the sweetest words remain. Every kiss is a cursive line, every touch is a redefining phrase." No, this voice... It's too soft, too light. It was entrancing. Could it be Victoria? No, she doesn't sing. Even in the car with the radio on, she never sings. So then, who could it be?

The voice stopped and the engine of a car turned off.

"Blake, wake up." I slowly opened my eyes and looked out the window in front of me. Through the window, I could see a highway with few cars passing by. The trees behind it matched the mountains in the background. I sat up more and turned towards the voice that woke me up. Sophia sat there with a small smile on her face. I found myself smiling back as she spoke again.

"Did you want something from the gas station?" She pointed her thumb behind her, I noticed the gas station that we were in front of for the first time. 

"Uh, I didn't bring any money so-" I was cut off by her hand that she placed on my knee. Her bright green eyes looked at me as a smile softly appeared on her lips.

"That's okay. I'll pay." She said before pushing her glasses up her nose and getting out of the car. The door to the gas station closed as she walked inside. And for some reason, I couldn't seem to pry my eyes away from the door. It's like she had put me into a trance that I couldn't wake up from. From her kindness, sweetness, soft voice, worry, just... Everything. Her presence alone seemed to calm me down. How? I couldn't figure it out. I knew that Victoria was my soul mate and that I belong with her. But what was it about her? Why was I so drawn to her?

Was it the way her green eyes peered into mine with honesty and kindness? They spoke thousands of words without even trying. Was it how soft her touch was? The lightest touch was softer than the clouds up above. Was it the way her voice played like a symphony? Just unless cellos, violent, harps... All to make such wonderful harmony.

What the fuck? When the hell have I ever known myself to be poetic? No, nah, ain't happening. I lightly slapped the side of my head. Why was I thinking like that? Doesn't matter, it's not going to happen again. I belong with Victoria... Right? But what if she never took me back? Was I not worth being loved?