CHAPTER 22:NOW I KNOW!

Start from the beginning

Yikes!! Now I feel bad!!

"I'm so sorry,Ava! I'm the one that's caused this rift in your family and that was never my intention."I placed my wine glass down on the marble coffee table,before I looked over at her preparing myself to explain."Tom offered me this Arrangement of Marriage to Jeremy-But I was the one that accepted it. If I didn't accept then it never would have happened."

"If Thomas didn't offer-It never would have happened,Tom has his reasons that I don't agree with."His reasons,I'm sure she means forcing Jeremy to do this just to benefit the business."None of this is your fault, I don't hold any blame towards you,Vanessa. Not at all!"

I was surprised,How could she not feel a certain way about me when all I'm after is their money just to dig myself out of a hole.

"Ava you have to know that I never would have considered this if I had the means myself."I explained."Finley's college tuition needed paying and my Father's hospital bills were endless. I didn't know what else to do."

"Don't ever feel ashamed of your choices-you did what you had to do for your family."Ava extended her hand towards me and I stood from the comfort of the couch and walked towards her.She sat me down next to her,still holding my hand and smiling lightly."Like I said on many occasions-You've been through too much at such a young age.You don't have to anymore.You're family-No matter what."

I felt good to hear her say those things to me. It was nice-to have a mother figure in my life again,a woman that genuinely cares about me."Family-No matter what."is what she said. I'm sure that's not going to be very easy a couple of months from now when Jeremy and I are in the process of a divorce.

"Thank you for saying that."I smiled a closed mouth smile,appreciating her more than she even realised.

"I speak the truth."She rested back on the couch with an exhale."So,Vanessa- tell me what exactly is going on between you and my Son?"With my raised eyebrows she knew there was something to tell."Thinking back on it now,I've noticed a change between you two over the months that you've been together."

My cheeks blushed with awkwardness,I couldn't see them but I could feel the heat."Well um-there's nothing going on. Jeremy and I are just trying to get on for the sake of the Arrangement."

Arrangement-Ugh why do I keep using that word? It's one that I absolutely hate.

"It's more than just that,it's quite clear that things have changed. The way he acted at the party was uncalled for, but Jeremy acted that way because he was a Jealous man."She sat forward, placing her hand on mine again."I've never seen him worried about a women-But yesterday at the hospital he was worried about you."

Hmm,We were arguing because Jeremy had a half naked women in the living room. Even though he told me that he was doing it to hurt me, it was kind of a screwed up thing to do. But that's just him,isn't it??

"I don't know about that,I don't think he knows what to even do with me."I looked down at my manicured nails in shyness."Jeremy has some demons, he keeps referring to himself as a man who is capable of anything. I don't understand him."

She nodded her head like she knew exactly what I was talking about."He's a closed book-very unwilling to let anyone in,even Thomas and I. He might need some probing but I think he'll open up to you in time,I have a feeling."

What if I don't want him to?

He hurt my friend,they all hate him now I'm sure of it. I'm going to be hearing about this until he's out of my life. Would I be so stupid to allow a man like that into my life..I mean really into my life!!

"I'm going to go make you something to eat-You must be starving."She smiled and stood from the couch, bringing her glass of wine along with her.

With Ava out of sight,I rested back on the white couch of plush gold cushions. I rested my head against the fabric,listening to the ticking of the clock and finally feeling the ease of pain. Thankfully those two aspirin had kicked in.

~~~

My eyes fluttered open when I heard his voice,the voice of a man who wasn't very happy. I must have fallen asleep when Ava left to make me something to eat. Now Jeremy is here looking for me and he sounds pissed!

"Vanessa was discharged from the hospital this morning and she left without telling me.Did she come here?"Jeremy asked, with an irritated tone.

Ava"Shhh!"him to silence,in case of waking me.Little did they know that he already had."She's asleep in the living room,I don't think she slept very well last night."

As I heard Jeremy's footsteps towards the living room I closed my eyes in fear of seeing his face-in fear of talking to him.The tall double doors to the living room pushed opened and his footsteps got closer again. I could smell him as he crouched down in front of me.

Oh heavenly God! He smells amazing. Better than the Macallan Whisky I could smell on him the day before,that's for sure.Don't move-Don't let him know that you're awake!!

"Vanessa."He whispered,and I didn't dare budge.Jeremy moved a lock of my hair back from my face,tucking it behind my ear.What the hell is this- Does Jeremy Austin have a gently side?Realising that I wasn't waking up he stood from beside me with a frustrated sigh."Has she been drinking?"

"No,I was drinking.Vanessa wasn't."I could hear Ava picking up the wine glass from the table."I'll get rid of this one."

"Well I don't appreciate you plying her with alcohol,Mother. Remember It was only yesterday when she fell down the stairs,she shouldn't be drinking."I could hear his footsteps as he left the room.

He has an opinion about me drinking when he's hitting the bottle on a daily basis. It's kind of sweet that he cares I guess.

"Where is Father?I need to speak to him."I could faintly make out Jeremy's figure through the frosted panel glass.

"We're not on speaking terms at the moment so he's staying somewhere else-just a couple of days."Ava sighed." It's what we need. He shouldn't have went behind my back."

"Yes,Well he likes to have complete control over the situation. You know that! He used the business against me just to go along with this."I wasn't sure if Jeremy was aware that his Mother knew,I guess now I know."Vanessa and I need to talk-How long has she been asleep?"

"Not long.She wants to stay here a few days, Son."Ava explained,in a hushed voice so I couldn't hear their chat from the kitchen."Don't worry-I'll take care of her.

He sighed."I'll leave then. Here's her phone,I'm sure she'll need it."Jeremy placed my phone down on the island and walked towards the door.

"Do you have feelings towards her-Is there more to this than just a fake marriage?"Ava asked,curiosity getting the better of her. I'm not going to lie I was curious about the answer that he was going to give her.

I could see him through the glass as he turned around to face his mother with a sigh,"There's nothing going on, Vanessa and I have no choice but to get on for now. There's nothing between us."Jeremy turned around and walked down the hallway,opened the front door and left.

I guess now I know!!