chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

both girls shook their head and marella sighed. "add that to your watchlists. it's a crime to not have seen that movie." they nodded, not wanting to upset marella and she continued. "anyways pink lady outfits are pretty simple and i think you guys would like them a decent amount. the outfit consists of black leggings, a black and white striped tank top, and a pink pink lady jacket." sophie and linh nodded, it wasn't as bad as they were imagining.

"do they really sell those costumes here?" sophie asked.

"definitely not. that's why i'll just order them online." linh had drifted over to a nearby store, called brandy melville, and was checking out a cropped dark blue tank top. "that would look adorbs on you!" marella shrieked.

linh jumped about five feet in the air and stared at marella. "you really need to bring it down a notch. what's gotten into you?"

"sorry. i get excited whenever i go shopping." sophie caught up with her friends in the rustic looking store and glanced around. the clothes weren't half bad. "why don't we get our outfits for the party here?" marella suggested.

sophie agreed and went off on her own to put an outfit together. linh had said the party was pretty casual but to wear something more mature, which meant slutty, since it was a college party. a gold halter top caught sophie's eye and she went to check it out. maybe a nice top with shorts would suffice? no matter how much marella pushed her to, she wasn't going to wear a skirt.

fortunately the store only was one size fits all so she didn't have to check if they had a shirt in her size. sophie grabbed the top and held it by the hook of the hanger. she saw marella looking in her direction with an approving look. marella signaled to a pair of jean shorts in the corner of the store, which sophie knew meant that she had to get them. sophie rolled her eyes and took a pair of shorts off the rack.

to be totally honest, she wasn't super against them. they were pretty cute and looked comfy enough. certainly better than anything marella was going to wear, in comfort level. sophie headed to the changing rooms to try on her clothes when linh came out of one with the dark blue tank top she was admiring, long white jeans, and a black jean jacket.

"damnnnn linh." marella smiled, she appeared practically out of nowhere beside sophie.

linh blushed and peered in a long mirror to the side. "you think it's too short?" she gestured to the sliver of skin you could see between her shirt and jeans. it was more directed towards sophie than marella. sophie shook her head, which probably gave her more confidence than marellas. marella suggested an even more cropped tank.

"what did you pick?" sophie turned to marella. she lifted the hangers in her hand for her to see.

"i got a pink mini dress and a white cardigan for a cute layer in case it's cold."

"i think i'm gonna buy this." linh decided after changing back into the clothes she came to the mall in. marella snatched linh's hangers and rushed to the register.

"i said it's on me!" linh rolled her eyes and chased after her. sophie let out a laugh before going into the changing room linh had just left. slipping on her jean shorts and adjusting her top, sophie came out to look herself in the mirror. when she saw the girl staring back at her she couldn't believe it was her. sophie had to do a double take. this was the first time she'd felt...pretty. the next thing she knew tears were dripping down her face and wetting her cheeks.

she didn't notice when marella wrapped her arms around her and squeezed tight. sophie choked out a sob and hugged marella back. the action spoke more than words could. no one knew how insecure sophie was about her body, it was one of the main reasons she wore the baggy clothes she did.

the story sophie had told everyone about why her closet was full of big sweatshirts, wasn't just from the lack of motivation she had to put herself together after her parents death, but an excuse to coverup her insecurities. she hadn't fully confronted herself about it until now. "you look gorgeous sophie." linh gave her a warm smile.

sophie returned the smile and let go of her friend. marella did the same and sophie's friends waited outside of the store for her. once they were reunited the three walked in silence the rest of the way to marellas car, forgetting to buy the remaining outfits.

linh tossed the shopping bags in the trunk of the car and the girls climbed into the bright pink mini cooper. marella turned on the radio and grins appeared on all their faces when a familiar song started.

"i'm sitting here! cryin' in my prom dress! i'd be the prom queen if crying was a contest!" they laughed and sang and screamed all of the way back to sophie's house.

edaline was sitting in the living room when the girls returned. she greeted them at the door and kissed sophie on the forehead. "welcome home. i missed you."

"i missed you too." sophie smiled. "you guys can start getting ready upstairs." linh and marella nodded and lugged the bags of clothes up to sophie's room. edaline looked at sophie in confusion. "i know that you want to spend time with me before you go on your trip. but i have a favor to ask."

edaline raised an eyebrow "this can't be good."
sophie sighed and pulled out an eyelash. "stop that." edaline swatted sophie's hand away from her face.

she grumbled before finally asking "can i go to college?"