3 hours

ooo workplace prompt au... actually it's not as exciting as what a workplace au implies. it's actually kinda lame but also kinda cute so good stuff. 

------------------------------------------

3 hours. Apparently that's how long it takes to fall in love. 180 simple minutes. 

"Hey! hold the doors!" Dean was running to the main building of his work. he was an auto motive engineer and was supposed to be meeting  some important people to talk about a new design. some artists, some other engineers and the company who paying for it all. big stuff. 

it was all exciting except he was running late and the only thing that saved him was the guy who stuck his arm out to hold the closing elevator doors. Dean jumped into the small space with a sigh of relief. if he missed that it would have taken another 10 minutes which he didn't have. 

"Thanks man. You don't understand how much you just saved my ass." Dean glanced over at the other man with a sincere look on his face. 

"No problem. I like to think you would do the same." The man smiled and looked forward again. 

"If it matters, I would." The man just continued to smile small and silence fell over both of them. 

it was a smooth ride since both of them were going to the same floor. suddenly the elevator jolted to s stop and the lights started to flicker. both men stumble back into the wall and dropped what they were holding, 

When Dean realized what happen his first thought was to make sure the other person with him was ok. 

"Son of a bitch." Dean rubbed his head and ran his hands over his face. "Hey you okay over there?" 

A groan came from the opposite corner. "uh yeah I think so? are you okay?" 

"Aces." Dean replied. "What happened?" the man asked. 

"Elevator shut down and power went out. Maybe the whole building lost power." Both dean and the man with no name sat up against the back wall. 

"So we are stuck?" 

"Yup." Dean said. the one day he had an important meeting. obviously if the whole building was down then the meeting was postponed but he still wasn't there on time. 

"Damn it." The guy said. he had a meeting too.  

a. few minutes had passed and the dark silence was killing Dean. he wasn't claustrophobic but he still couldn't take it. 

"I am guessing we will be here for a little bit, I'm Dean, Dean Winchester." he said. he thought their best way to pass time would be to at least try and make conversation. 

"I'm Castiel Novak. you can call me Cas though." in what little light they had, the two looked at each other. Dean didn't notice how attractive he was the first time. 

"Nice to meet ya Cas. what brings you here, if ya don't mind me asking?" Dean held his hands up gesturing to the building then let them down, slapping the elevator floor. 

"I had a meeting. very important actually. I am supposed to draw out the design for a new car idea." Cas said. 

"Really? I'm an engineer. I was supposed to be in that meeting to help design the working parts. What are the odds." 

"Well at least I am not the only one that's not there." Cas sort of laughed in attempt to lighten the mood. 

"Yeah." Dean laughed a little too. 

silence fell again and Cas decided it was his turn to make conversation. 

"So, Dean... see any good movies lately?" turns out Cas was terrible at small talk. 

Dean smiled. "Really? Is that your attempt of getting us to talk?" 

"It's the best I got, so have you?" there was a hint of sass behind Cas' remark. 

"Well yeah, I just watched one the other day. Donnie Darko. How I never saw it amazes me cause it was actually really good." 

"That's a classic cult film, how have you never seen it?" Cas was baffled. 

"What do you mean? I didn't even know it existed so how is it a classic?"

"It just is. take my word for it." 

"What ever." Dean said. 

they continued to talk about movies and then went into books and shows. that took up the first hour. 

"So Cas now that I know all your opinions on everything pop culture, what about you? What's Castiel Novak like?" Dean figured he might as well get to know the guy he was stuck in here with. 

"What am I like?" Cas put an emphasis on the I. He thought he was boring and was shocked when someone wanted to know about him. 

"Yeah. tell me about yourself. you don't have to go into your deep dark past just what are you like I guess. maybe you're batshit crazy, would be good to know." Dean told him. 

"Well, I'm not batshit but ok about me... I have a cat named grace, I live in an apartment with lots of plants, I like most music but punk or pop punk is my favorite, it turned out not to be a phase so don't even ask, and I have lots of siblings. Gabriel, my older brother, is my favorite though. the rest are douchebags more often that not. I like to read but only sometimes and I also like art a lot but I guess you knew that. I think that's it." 

"Oh I am definitely gonna ask about that later." Dean said. he took in everything Cas said and was amazed somehow. he thought Cas sounded complex and wanted to know the reason behind everything he said. he didn't know why. 

"What about you... what's Dean like?" 

"Let's see... I like cars obviously, I drive a 1967 impala who is named baby, I also live in an apartment and I have a little brother named Sammy who is a damn genius, kid's in law school. I like classic rock and the occasional pop song, emphasis on the occasional" Cas chuckled "and you already know the rest." 

"Interesting." Cas said.

"Yes we seem like very exciting people." They both made small laughing noises. 

the two continued to talk and despite not having too, they still got into their deep dark pasts. Cas told Dean about how his dad was an absent writer and his mom was never present. Dean told Cas about his crazy alcoholic dad and how his mom died when he was young. turns out they had a lot more in common than movies and a bond formed.  

By hour 2, Dean and Cas were sitting close. their jackets and ties were thrown to the side due to the heat and they were more comfortable with each other than you would expect to be when stuck in an elevator. 

"So you used to have a blue mohawk and piercings?" 

"What can I say, everyone digged a bad boy." Cas said shrugging. 

"oh man, I wish I could have seen this in real time." Dean had tears coming down form laughter. 

"I still have the tattoos ya know. they are small but 17 year old me made a mark." 

"I have got to see those one day." Cas' eyes went wide and so did Dean's after he realized what he said. Cas took a second and smirked. 

"You want to see them huh?" Cas had a mischievous tone to his voice.

Dean didn't know what to do except out on his big boy pants and just ask. "I- well- I wasn't gonna ask cause I wasn't sure but at this point what the hell. When this is over... you wanna get dinner?" 

"Like a date?" Cas asked.

"Like a date." Dean rubbed the back of his neck. 

"Yeah. I would like that Dean." His voice went soft. 

"Well then, being late seems like the best thing ever now." 

"It kinda does. other than the fact that we could have been fired this was great." Dean shook his head and laughed which got Cas laughing too. 

After about 3 hours the power kicked back on and they were rescued. Dean didn't totally realize it yet but in those 180 minutes he had fallen in love and so had Cas.