Chapter 21: Wishes

The tiny fish swam in a cluster of reds, oranges and yellows, in the small clear tub, some speckled, some solid colored. The idea of catch goldfish to keep as pets had always seemed silly to Kira, and having such a pet - one that lived in water no less - in a desert village seemed even more so. Yet, here she was, standing in front of the damn thing, arms aching from crutches as she watched Aya chase the fish around with a tiny net. The blond seemed to be after a particular one, bright red with white spots on it's back half, the tail fin streaked.

Well, at least Kira had been right in her assumptions of what to expect for her time at the festival. Aya had shown up an hour before things had gotten started and basically trapped both Temari and the shadow user in one room, demanding that the three of them get ready together. The eldest sand sibling had agreed after one wary glance to Kira, who had grimaced but not denied her friend the activity she enjoyed so greatly.

So, she sat through it all, being stuffed into a yukata, having her hair played with - the works. Thankfully she got to keep her shoes - or shoe as it were - since the cast prevented traditional footwear and Kira had pointed out she might trip in them. Aya had huffed but relented, Temari smirking at the easy going friendship of the two ANBU.

Now, hours later, Kira was doned in fabric that held the stars and sky, her hair glittering with ribbons at the base of her pony tail. It was all very pretty if you ignored the eyesores that were her cast and crutches.

"Got it!" Aya crowd, her prey trapped in the tiny net, the man running the stall hurrying to save the poor thing as he placed it in a bag of water and tied it off. He handed it to the blond who clutched it eagerly between both hands and turned to look at Kira. "You sure you don't want one? We could find you a chair so you could sit down and do it." The offer was sweet but Kira simply shook her head and smiled slightly.

"I'm good. I don't see how I'd have time to take care of one." She half wondered how Aya was planning to. Maybe her mother was willing to look after the thing. Not wanting to give Aya time to try and convince her, Kira moved from the stand, the click of her crutches bearing her weight lost in the high murmur of voices that littered the stands around them. The blond followed her, keeping to her side as a way to keep people from tripping Kira who was having trouble as it was in the yukata. "Let's go find the others and some food. I'm starving," she offered. She had no idea what had happened to any of the sand siblings, Temari slipping away soon after they'd left for the event, so it was just the two of them, but everyone had agreed to meet up for food later, which was now.

"Alright. I think Temari said something about that food tent down the way, maybe they're there now?" Aya didn't wait for an answer, just started on her way, forcing Kira to follow after her as fast as she could. The blond had slowed her steps, but Kira was still slower than her. That fact alone was probably the most annoying part about her injury.

They did indeed find the siblings hanging near the large food tent, Kankuro leaning against a one of the support polls as his sister peered at whatever was being sold there. Gaara was standing near them, arms crossed and a distant look about him that nearly screamed boredom. This really wasn't his kind of thing, but as a leader he had to be seen supporting the festival.

Aya went scampering up to them, stopping in front of the puppet master and nearly shoving her prize in his face - which was clear of paint for once, his brown hair visible without the hood. He gave her an annoyed look, trying to lean away from the bag only to be denied due to the beam he was leaning against. At the first words from the blond, Gaara seemed to break from whatever trance he'd been in, blinking and looking to her before his eyes flickered to Kira who had just gotten to them a few moments after Aya. The shadow user gave her friend a small smile, shifting on her crutches, her under arms screaming as per usual. Temari also came to life, turning from the stand and moving closer to the group.