Chapter 10: Departed

The sound of her own breath leaving her lungs was like a low gasp to Kira's ears. Close to her, the panting of another was heard and she opened her eyes to see Tenten resting her hands on her knees as she bent forward, feet planted firmly on the ground. Kira wiped her forehead, brushing back hair that had come undone. Her weapons lay at her feet where she leaned on a tree for support.

It was the third day Kira had been in Konoha, and like she had agreed, she and Tenten had sparred with tonfas. It had been quiet different, as Kira had thought it would be. While her opponent had come at her with intent in every movement, there was a way in which her strikes were made that told Kira Tenten meant no real harm.

It had been a nice change, and to her surprise, a bit of a challenge. She'd never had to face another person with the same weapons; meaning most of Kira's movements were read by Tenten and vice versa. She'd kept the hidden blades of her weapons locked away, and for nearly an hour they had traded blows and studiously ignored the onlookers of Tenten's team.

In the end, whether by luck, training, or experience, Kira had knocked Tenten's left weapon from her hand and taken victory. Those events lead them to where they were now; huffing and puffing like angry bulls but feeling quiet the opposite.

"That was awesome!" Lee shouted from behind them and hurried footsteps put him into view moments later. He looked pumped and ready for a round himself, making Kira groan internally. "You are so fast Kira!"

She gave him a wearily smile, leaning her head on the tree trunk and concentrating on breathing. She couldn't remember the last time she'd spared for so long. Normal with her team, one of them took the win in around 15 minutes.

"Gee, thanks Lee," Tenten grumbled standing up straight, her weapons long gone, the summoning canceled. She didn't sound angry, more like she was simply pulling on the taijustu boy's leg. It worked, and Lee went back peddling and sputtering.

Glancing to the other boy present, she gave Neji a small nod of her head. He said nothing, as was normal, and Kira had a feeling he knew just what Kira was thinking. She might have won, but if Tenten had started using other weapons in her arsenal, that could have easily changed.

"Alright, it is my turn!" Lee shouted and Kira moved her head to look at him, his fist raised in challenge. "Come at me!"

The ANBU blinked and fought a grimace before pushing herself off the tree. As she bent down to retrieve her tonfas, she spoke. "I'll have to decline. I'm afraid that wore me out more than I thought it would... sorry." It was a half-truth; she was a bit winded, but she could have kept going. Kira just used the excuse to get out of round two. She'd watched Lee fight Neji an hour prior, and wasn't quiet sure she was up to that after what she'd just done.

Lee sulked a bit and Tenten put a hand on his shoulder. "Come on Lee, we can't wear her out too much. She has a long trip back home tomorrow," she explained with a smile, glancing to Kira who nodded her head in thanks. It made her a little sad to leave; Kira had enjoyed her time here in the Leaf with Team Guy.

"Maybe next time. 'til then, we'll both keep training," Kira offered to the boy with a smile as she placed her weapons back in their holsters. Lee nodded his head, satisfied.