Chapter 15: Promise

The barracks were alive with movement, filled to capacity with Shinobi from all over the lands that now all seemed to be blending together. Kira stood off to the side, watching a group of Ninja hurry past her with supplies. The animosity of different nations toward each other was still there, as most kept to their own people, but it was still a wonder to see them living together. No fights had broken out at least, and Kira liked to think that was a good sign.

"Got them," the voice behind her called, followed by the ruffle of cloth. Kira turned in time to see the flap of the tent she'd been standing in front of fall closed and Tenten appear from within. The weapons master held up two newly made forehead protectors, and handed the one with dark purple cloth to Kira. Looking at it, Kira felt a bit uneasy not seeing the Suna symbol on the metal, but rather the symbol for the entire war force. The Allied Shinobi. It felt kind of wrong to not be able to really represent her home, but it was a show of unity to the enemy, and Kira could understand why it was needed.

"Thanks," she muttered and began tying it to her belt like normal. She couldn't stand it on her forehead, it always made her sweat more. "For helping with my hair earlier as well."

Tenten rolled her eyes. "You already thanked me for that," she pointed out. "I really don't understand why it made much of a difference, you only wanted a few inches off. It's still likely to get in your way." She was right. Kira knew that her hair looked almost exactly the same, but it had been getting too long for her liking. As for her other comment...well, Kira knew that long hair could be dangerous in battle, even more so when it was within reach of the enemy like hers was. Yet Kira loved her hair too much, it felt like a right to be able to wear it as she did.

"When I was being trained my master wouldn't let me have long hair, he made me keep it around the same length as Sai's," she explained, tying off her headband. "The one time I tried to grow it out he cut it off with a kunai. He hadn't been pleased at my insubordination when he'd come back from his mission. My hair had been in patchy lengths for weeks. When he'd died I'd realized I could grow it out and my mother had started styling it in different ways till I found one I liked."

Tenten made a face that was somewhere between a scowl and a grimace. "Sounds like an asshole," she grumbled and Kira couldn't help but silently agree. She hadn't told Tenten who her master was, it would have made it too easy for her friend to figure out she was ANBU, and Kira wasn't sure she could let Tenten know that yet. She wanted to tell her, but for now, she knew it was best not to say anything. "I guess I can see why you'd want to wear it long then."

"Let's go find something to eat," Kira suggested, and her friend nodded. They started off, walking through the barracks. Some tempary food shops had been put up near the main building, and even though it was an odd time – two in the afternoon – they were still bustling with hungry ninja. They got in line for tempura and rice, a good five people in front of them. Kira shifted, tugging at her hair for a moment before sighing.

"What's up?" Tenten asked, tilting her head, seeming to understand the raven haired teen's fidgeting rather well. It was interesting how quickly Tenten had gotten to know Kira, even though this was only the second time they'd seen each other in person. Maybe letters did more than she realized.

"Just thinking about tomorrow," Kira muttered lowly, not wanting others to hear. Tenten frowned and nodded her head in understanding. Tomorrow was, after all, the day of reckoning. The first day of the war.