Acknowledged

When I wake up, it's just starting to get light outside. The windows are closed, but pale rays of light slip through. I reach out mentally and see Rhenyan and Auroya in the kitchen. Judging by how Rhenyan is moving, I'm assuming he's cooking something. My anxiety starts acting up and I bring my energy back in.

It's fine. Just... don't expect anything from him, and we'll be fine.

I stretch and get out of bed. I start to head to the door but hesitate.

What do I say to him? Does he even want to talk? This is going to be super awkward. Maybe he just won't talk at all. Would that be better or worse?

As I'm standing there, I feel Auroya's energy spread out over the whole lot. Judging by the quickness of the action, I guess she'd been doing that for some time. I take a deep breath and walk through the hallway to the kitchen.

"Good morning," I say to no one in particular.

"Good morning," Auroya answers. Rhenyan says nothing. "Breakfast will be ready soon."

"Do you know what time we'll be leaving?"

Auroya nods. "As soon as we're done with breakfast."

"So early?"

She smirks. "Is that too early for you?"

"I- no, I just thought..."

"That there was some secret time that's perfect for meeting people like Fernanda? Sometime around dusk or midnight?"

I feel my face flush. "Well..."

She laughs. "There isn't. Shady as she may be, she sleeps just like the rest of us."

I glance at the other two chairs around the table, then sit down on the couch in the living room. I feel Auroya's eyes on me as I lean back on the back arm.

There's silence for a few minutes, during which Auroya looks either at me or at the table. Rhenyan moves about the kitchen, not once looking my way. I'm fidgeting the entire time. I can't seem to stop myself. Part of me wants him to say something; part of me wants him to stay silent; all of me is wondering what Auroya knows or thinks about it. Do they have anyone they love? Or are they both so detached from other people that it doesn't even cross their minds? What about their families? Their friends?

I mentally shake my head and nod to Auroya. "Should I ask where you know Fernanda from?"

She smirks again. "We've dealt with Mind magicks a lot."

"What about Soul?"

That makes her hesitate. "Only a few times, and never without the council nearby."

"When we were talking last night, about when you said you'd been charmed... was that one of those times you'd seen Fernanda?"

I don't know where the question came from, but it really seemed to bother Rhenyan. Not one full second passed after I finished my question when I heard at least five things drop to the floor in the kitchen. I stood and started toward the noise instinctively, only to see that he was already magically picking everything up. I sat back down before he looked my way. His expression was of stone, but his eyes - they were raging. I look to the other side, my face flushing again.

"Ah, well, there-"

"Fernanda does blocks, black boxes - not charms." Rhenyan says. His voice sounds casual, but his eyes are pinned to me. I swallow hard as I try to think of something to say. I feel Auroya's energy reach out to Rhenyan. His energy doesn't fade, but he does turn away, back to his food. I can't bring myself to look up to see if he's looked away. If he hasn't...