Danger

Once we travel far enough for Auroya, she sets down a handful of barriers while Rhenyan and I heat up some cans of soup. They've both been silent, I assume talking to each other through their bond. What they could talk about for seven hours is beyond me. Auroya seems to be in a worse mood than before, as does Rhenyan, though it's not nearly as noticeable on him.

"Xena," Rhenyan says quietly. I look to him, then down, noticing for the first time that my pot is boiling over.

"Shit," I hiss as I grab a rag to clean up the mess. Rhenyan chuckles.

"Don't get too distracted. That's all we got here."

"Great."

Auroya bursts inside the house, making me jump.

"You're sure?" She says darkly to Rhenyan. Her eyes are angry and intense as she glares at him. He purses his lips and doesn't move. She stands frozen in her own personal fire for another few moments before she sighs, pinches the bridge of her nose, and stomps outside again. I glance to Rhenyan.

"What just happened?"

He sighs softly. "I didn't tell her that I felt someone following us until just now."

My heart jumps. "What! What do you mean someone was following us? Why-"

"Not was. Is. They're still nearby."

Oh no. Here it is. The end of everything. "Why- why are we here then? Let's go!"

He shakes his head, casually taking his pot off the stove and pouring some soup into a bowl. "I waited to tell her because I knew the moment I said anything, we'd be off again." He gestures with his spoon first to himself, then to the door. "I'm used to it, and she's used to it, but you..." he waves a hand at my pot and it lifts and starts pouring into my bowl. "You need to eat. You need rest, even if it isn't sleep. I know you're tough, but you haven't been gone from home this long before. You haven't been constantly on the run before, with nowhere to stop and rest for longer than a day." He offers me a spoon but I ignore it. 

Is he serious right now? "Rhenyan, we can't-"

"We can, and we will. Now sit down."

"I don't-"

"Xena." His voice isn't loud, or mean, but it is a command nonetheless. I stare at him. He's endangering all of us because of me! Because he thinks I can't handle it? I feel my energy surging at the accusation.

"Xena, come on." He steps closer an inch as his eyes bore into mine. "Do you feel your energy right now? It's almost as bad as when we took you from the council." He's close enough that I have to look up at him. "Just sit down and eat," he says softly. "I know you want to go, but for once, don't fight me on this."

After a few moments, during which my brain and emotions finally get on the same track, I sit in a chair near the table. Rhenyan places my bowl in front of me with the spoon inside. I'd been starving before; now I don't know if I can eat anything. My stomach and my heart both hurt at the fact that Rhenyan stopped for me to eat. Surely he knows how dangerous it is to be with me, let alone when he knows someone is following!

"Xena."

I finally force myself to pick up the spoon and eat. Once I've taken a few bites, I can feel my hunger starting to come back. Rhenyan's energy relaxes as he sits across the table from me. I hadn't even noticed his energy spiking before then.

"Thank you."

I don't reply. Eating doesn't mean I'm not mad at you.

I know.