ix

clay

it had been a few weeks since the confession in the fields. but clay still feels the same adrenaline coursing through his veins every time he thinks of that moment.

clay and blue would live happily ever after together. he's sure of it. he promised. blue promised. they wouldn't ever forget.

the news is broken to clay on this day.

mother comes to clay's room, rapping on the door.

"blue has something to share with you."

clay beams at the mention of blue, but he frowns at the uncertainty laced into mother's voice. blue steps into the room, looking down.

"blue?"

blue looks up. his eyes were swollen and puffy from crying. his face was still wet with tears.

"blue? what happened? are you oka-oomph!" blue runs over to clay and hugs him with all his might. "blue?"

blue doesn't respond. he just cries and cries and cries into clay's shoulder.

"blue, what's wrong?" clay asks again. he was starting to tear up too from the cries of his best friend.

"im leaving!" blue sobs, pressing his head onto clay. "i don't want to leave."

"leaving? for how long?" clay's face goes numb. he already knows the answer. but something deep inside himself prevented him from believing it.

"forever, dream," blue cries. "i'll never see you again. i can't leave. that's not something a best friend should do."

clay's heart cracks as he rests his head on top of blue's. silent teardrops roll down his face as he processes everything. nothing else in the world mattered at that moment. nothing other than the fact that the boy he loved was leaving. and there was nothing he could do about it.